Name the aeroplane ?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Nice one - Yes indeed - the Handley Page Hastings. IMHO one of the wierdest aeroplanes I've ever seen - and suffered in.
The next one won't be that easy or have as many clues......

Ron Earp

Admin
Nice one - Yes indeed - the Handley Page Hastings. IMHO one of the wierdest aeroplanes I've ever seen - and suffered in.
The next one won't be that easy or have as many clues......

Come on now, this thread is USELESS without pictures of the airplanes too:

handley-page-hastings.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
I know a bit different from the cockpit shots, but what is this?

Attachments

• happy_plane.jpg
    happy_plane.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 262

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,
As James said this one is the Avro Shackleton Mk2 Phase 3 and you are looking at the twin Hispano 20mm cannon. The same installation was also fitted to the Mk3 Shack along with a pair of Viper jet engines and tricycle undercarriage instead of being a tail dragger. The cannons were visually aimed via the electric Boulton Paul Turret Gunsight. A total nightmare to operate and difficult to loose off more than a few rounds before it jammed.The engine you can see is a RR Griffon with contra rotating propellers. Incredibly Noisy. Sitting in that gun position on flights 'up north' was so cold we would wear and immersion suit and up to three cold weather artic parkas with another one over your knees as the wind used to howl in through the gun shrouds. It could also be configured with tracer and D/U rounds if required - God forbid. That was a photo of the Cockpit above - the tatty black one.
Incidentally "avro" and a number , ie "Avro 7" is still the r/t callsign for Woodford based test crews where the Shackleton was built.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
James - is it a Nieuport 17 ? Some of the dials are English though.(RFC??)
Dave - I know it's soviet and I think I'm very close but I still cannot tie it down. Yet.
Do not disclose it though.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
In which case it might be a pusher De havilland - DH2.
McCudden VC was laid to rest in Wavans in Pas de Calais. You've probably driven past the site many times.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Yes - SE5a - I should have realised as the cockpit on the DH2 was well forward
of the mainplane and your photo showed otherwise. Did you know he outlived Manfred VR ? It was a carburettor that got him, not the other side.....

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
He started as a bugler and ended up ranked Major with his own squadron - No.60 from memory.
In the spring of 1917 his engine cooled down just before take-off and stalled during a banking turn killing him.
He made 57 kills and changed air combat theory.
A very brave man, he had two brothers Willie and John, both in the RFC. John the younger was shot down and died earlier.

Back