need a starter for G50

Doug did you make the C style mount?

Dwight

Yes; Plate steel on a turntable & mill. Welded the spacers on, there is a short bolt threaded into the starter flange - be careful tapping the flange - to keep it the starter from trying to spin. Two bolts hold the starter in as normal.

If anyone would like a diagram posted, I can work one up with dimensions, etc.

I have one of Chris (Flatchat) trans adapters, bit concerned as I thought it was just a case of buying a G50 starter motor and plonking it on which I did, picture attached.

No idea what indexing is about will it be OK

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 278
Nick,
If you got it bolted on and it starts you don't have to worry about indexing. That is when you try to mount the starter and you can't because it hits something(frame cross member etc.). Then you try to turn it to where it will go in all the way, and it won't line up with the bolt pattern. There are adapters on some of the starters that give you multiple mounting holes.

Bill

Nick,
If you got it bolted on and it starts you don't have to worry about indexing. That is when you try to mount the starter and you can't because it hits something(frame cross member etc.). Then you try to turn it to where it will go in all the way, and it won't line up with the bolt pattern. There are adapters on some of the starters that give you multiple mounting holes.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Had a feeling from the drawing Chris put on it was something like that.

Last edited:

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Yes Doug I would like a diagram

HTML:
If anyone would like a diagram posted, I can work one up with dimensions, etc.

thanks Dwight

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Please go ahead and post up the diagram here Doug...

Dwight

Well today I installed my starter, Thanks to the help of Doug and BigFoot pictures.

Thanks guys

Dwight

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Did you get any pictures Dwight? I take it that you built a setup like Doug's right?

I apologize! I know I'm dragging my feet - I'll get some more photos and measurements online this weekend!
Dwight, good on you pressing ahead; yes, do you have any pics?
Also, It seems the Porsche starter units are rather pricey - does anyone have a source or alternate unit that works more reasonably priced?

Dwight

No pictures
I'll take some tonight

The IMI Hi Torque starter is $180

Dwight

Dwight

pics of the pieces to mount my starter

I turn a aluminum spacer for the 10 mm all thread rod. This holds the bottom mount on the starter. I did have to cut a notch in it to clean the trannie case on one end.

For the top mounting hole I made a piece to clamp the starter in place. I welded a 7/16" rod on one end to hold the starter and drilled a 10 mm hole for the stud on the trannie case. this will keep the starter from turning under torque. I used the small spacer under the stud.

I'll know if it works after a few starts on the motor.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/album.php?albumid=664

picture.php

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Okay so it looks like a variation on what I did... I'm hoping that it works out long term!

Here's a link to my solution: STARTER

Dwight

Yes Randy I did use your idea but had to simplify it to match my tools and skills. I did not want to pull the motor / trannie out of the frame just to mount a starter. I did have to buy a 13/32 x 12" drill bit and use my shortest drill to drill the hole in the adapter plate for the lower bolt. Also had to drop the belly pan to drill the hole. I bet I have 20 hours in just mounting the starter!

A little bit every week and I'll get there.

Dwight

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I hear you on the time it takes... What's really funny is that if you were to do it for someone else - like a customer - they'd want to pay you $30 bucks for all that work.. LOL..

That was one longgggggg drill bit!

Spent the day in the shop; here's a photo and some dimensions that may help. You may have to massage the outside radius for trans clearance. Go easy on the starter holes if you tap them - don't break the lugs, that is bad. Anyway, hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 244

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Doug!!! These measurements along with all the pics will certainly be of help to guys that need to re-clock their Porsche starters..

Back