Need Help: 996, GT40, RS60, AC COBRA, OR DAYTONA COUPE?!

I do not see where a GTM would be much different than a GT40, except for the roll up windows. It is as low or lower, very poor rear vision, difficult to get into and out of. Having said that, I drive my GT40 5 or 6 times a week, but the Daytona is easier.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Chuck,

How do you decide which 40 to drive?

Any significant differences/ observations/critiques?

Steve

ps...you need to update your sig line

my cars come and go so often it is hard to keep up. The CAV is easier to get in and out of with the lowered seat pan and the adjustable seats are nice. The SPF seems like a bigger car though, and a MK11 is definitly harder to see things behind you, I did get a pair of those convex stick on mirrors for my fender mounted units today and they help a lot. It is hard to compare to some extent because the SPF has 130 more HP at least so it is much faster but the CAV is far from slow. The CAV gets 20 mpg, the SPF, I am afraid to check. Both are very solid on the road with no rattles or squeeks. With all the time and energy I put into the CAV for sound control, the SPF seems loud. I plan to upgrade my sound proofing in it soon. I do like the power brakes in the CAV even though the SPF has a much higher dollar set up and I suspect are much more fade resistant.. Both are certainly loads of fun and draw plenty of crowds, it will be hard to sell one.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Both are certainly loads of fun and draw plenty of crowds, it will be hard to sell one.

Bill, being the compassionate individual that I am, I wouldn't want to see you suffer. Feel free to donate one to me.:)

Hey guys, I thought I'd take everyone's advice of checking the car out in person, so I went down to VIP Classics here in San Diego, although it's no longer VIP Classics, another company called Beverly Hills Motor Cars just bought the business, the new site is Beverly Hills Motor Cars, FYI. Well the point is I talked to a salesman & told him exactly what I wanted & how much I wanted to spend, he said there's a good possibility he can find it for me & he took down my info, he said he'll call me within a week. He had me sit in the car & let me really get the feel of it & everything, & I have got to say, it is nothing like what I imagined, it is seriously as comfortable as a mini-van, lol. Apparently the CAVs are more user-friendly cars, with sound-proofing insulation, A/C, more interior room, leather dashboard & seats, comfortable seats, even a padded leg support!, & many other things, & yet, it manages to stay true to the design & performance of the original race car. After seeing it in person, I am more convinced than ever of what I want, & that's a GT40. If he can find me one at the right price in less than 4 months, that is what I'm buying, & if not, I'll go with my 2nd option, the Porsche 911.

I do not see where a GTM would be much different than a GT40, except for the roll up windows. It is as low or lower, very poor rear vision, difficult to get into and out of. Having said that, I drive my GT40 5 or 6 times a week, but the Daytona is easier.

The GTM is 2.5 inches taller, .25 inches more ground clearance (obviously as adjustable as
the shocks/springs allow), 4 inches wider, wheelbase is 6 inches longer, and fuel is center
located so no super wide sills. I suspect that cabin is roomier, but over all I bet it is easier
to get in and out of. And it has power windows. I will not argue rear visibility, nor that
it is still going to be hard to see in traffic. But, I believe the GTM would be a better daily
driver overall. Mind you, I will never get a GTM - the allure of the GT40's shape and history
is what drives me.

But, I agree - the Porsche and Daytona are better candidates.

Ian

Back