New Authentic Looking GT40 Gauges From Classic Gauges

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Their is a photo of the CAV tmeter (Sorta Blurry) in some of the snaps that I took of the MKIII. It is in the GT40 Gallery burried. Don't know what others they were in.

Sandy

Smiths Gauges

John c.GBP800

So who are/were CAV? I assumed they were a subsidiary of Smiths back in the day.

Hi Lee,
I got my 40 through the sva test with the smiths v type bezels. not a problem. The tester was quite happy with them as they were in the excluded area behind the wheel and not accessable with the test sphere. The dash top lip and the switches prevented the sphere contacting the rims.
Jerry

When I got mine, that was one of the things I realised. If there was a next time I would order 1/2 v and only fit the speedo (in the tacho place) and a couple of other instruments behind the steering wheel. Than after the test, cut out the other holes and fit the instruments properly.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Re: Smiths Gauges

Lee said:
John c.GBP800

So who are/were CAV? I assumed they were a subsidiary of Smiths back in the day.

From some web sluthing -

C. A. Vandervell (C.A.V) who built an electrical company that he later sold to Lucas (early 1920's). I think the brand name is still floating around as part of the Lucas group. His son, Tony Vandervell was a racer that had it out for the 'Red' cars. I guess it was fitting that his Amp meter was in the Gt40 :)

Looks like from parts that pop up on ebay they were more truck oriented (or is that a Lorry?)

Sandy

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Lee and other brothers in the UK,

Maybe I don't really understand what, exactly, the SVA is, but I am astounded that there is any reason any gov't body could care less about what kind of bezels the instruments have.

And, I thought that the gov't in the US was far too involved in our daily lives!

Regards,
Lynn

Hi Lynn,
The SVA (Single vehicle approval, or more like- silly vehicle award) ,is a good test as its got rid of the dangerous kits that were around. It is basically just a test to check the cars build is satisfactory. part of the test is to check that there are no sharp edges that are accessible to pedestrians/ occupants.
These corners have to be radiused to 2.5mm if the corner can be touched with a 150mm sphere. The clock bezels should fail as the bezels are not radiused on the peak of the V.
These are good intentions and would probably help if you were unfortunate to have an accident.- now the silly bit. the area behind the wheel and 127mm each side is exempt from the radius rule. you could put razor blades in this area and they would not be classed as a fail on the test. you can present the car to the tester with tyres so bald that the metal wire reinforcing is exposed, yet it will only fail if the speed or load ratings are not high enough....
jerry

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Jerry,

Thanks for explaining that for me. I don't want to come off as too nationalistic because it sounds like the SVA rules are well intentioned. I am afraid that many of the, so called, safety inspections in the states are not so altruistic. I am firmly convinced that most have money at their roots.

For instance, here in North Carolina, the "safety inspection" can be failed if there is dampness on the boots of the steering rack, but the car isn't even checked for safety belts or their condition even though they are legally required and, after the driver and brakes (not operationally checked), are probably one of the most important safety items on the car. The safety inspection is scam used by the gas stations and garages (who are the ones doing the inspections) to coerce people into getting unnecessary repairs.

I was forced to put a new steering rack on my daily driver because the gas station guy said that fluid escaped when he pushed the boot back. This after never having so much as a stain on my garage floor. Of course, he did offer an appointment time to have the rack replaced.

Regards,
Lynn

Back