New Look for GT40s.com

ahirsbrunner said:
Looks like someone is going to get the prize!

So Paolo, can you tell me the scale and brand? If anyone can it should be you :) Here is the original pic before the photoshop work:

Regards,

Al

Dunno Alex, but I like it!!

...but have the same Ikea box in my shop:)boomsmile

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Well, I think Paolo and John both deserve a prize. I don't know what Ron was planning, but I will provide a prize of equal or cooler :) value since we have what I consider a tie.

It is a 1/32 scale Scalextric slot car. Much more detail than one would expect from a 5 inch long model intended to be played with.

Regards,

Al

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Ron Earp said:
Glad you like it guys , we'll be tweaking it over the coming weeks - colors, maybe graphics if we can ever get a Gulf colored car with the right angle/detail. That was the problem this go around is we were waiting to find the right shot. I found a couple, but emailed the owners about using them and never got a response. Some kind folks emailed me some Gulf pictures but in the end the photos had flaws and problems and couldn't be used. Ron

Ron, just a suggestion, but since I was a kid whenever I visualized a GT40 it always had a Gurney Bubble. To me, it's as much a part of the "vision" as the Gulf paint scheme. When you finally do source a photo/painting for the forum home page, I'd suggest it include a Gurney Bubble, and if you want to do it up really right it ought to be RHD, don't you think?

Doug

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh right right...sure..is the scaletrix!!, and I have also a Gulf one in the shop..was even looking that now, inspired from the front division line over orange color!.

very rare and so precious model!welldone

Paolo

To my knowledge (which is minimal), Gurney never drove a Gulf Car.

Which means they never required a bubble. I do not recall ever seeing a Gurney Bubble on a Gulf car. I checked the Race Record in Ronnie Spains book, and did not see where Gurney was listed as a JWA driver for the '68-'69. Hummmm.

Well, I guess. Go ahead and put a bubble on it,........ but no 17" wheels!

Just kidding......

Gary Kadrmas

Ron Earp

Admin
No 17"s, I hear you! :) Seriously, I did find a Gulf car picture at the right angle, I think it was a CAV, in my photo directory and it was nice, but she had 17" wheels - nice car but that part was not for me.

We'll get something before too much longer that will take the place of the scale car, but for right now I think she looks pretty cool! I'll have to think on the car prize, but to be fair Malcolm spotted that straightaway and emailed me instead of posting. He didn't want to ruin it for everyone!

I didn't think the Gulf cars had bubbles either. I like the bubbles, but don't remember any Gulf scheme cars with them in any of the books I have, although I don't have nearly as many as most of you guys.

Any artists wanting to donate some time on a Gulf GT40 for site logo?

ahirsbrunner said:
Well, I think Paolo and John both deserve a prize. I don't know what Ron was planning, but I will provide a prize of equal or cooler :) value since we have what I consider a tie.

It is a 1/32 scale Scalextric slot car. Much more detail than one would expect from a 5 inch long model intended to be played with.

Regards,

Al

Hmm, remind me to send you the same shot using my Revelle Creative Masters
#6.

Ian

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Thumbs vs full size images in attachments

Ron, it looks like one of the most recent changes has been reducing the image sizes in the posts from "full size" to thumbnails. In order to see the full size image, it requires the user to do a doubleclick on the thumb to see it. One can't see two full size images at the same time, nor can you "scroll" through the images in the thread as before.

We made this change recently on another vBulletin forum that I moderate, and have found it not too popular.

One workaround, is where the images are already hosted online elsewhere (for example Photo Bucket). By posting a link in the thread to these images, then the full size image appears in the thread. The downside to this, of course, is if the images are ever deleted or moved from Photo Bucket, then the links die in the gt40s.com thread.... It also requires people to start a new account for photo hosting, upload their photos, then link over to them from gt40s, etc. etc......

Here is an image currently hosted on Photo Bucket:

AttachmentsSmall.jpg

And the same image "uploaded" should now be attached as a thumb.

Any chance of returning to the old method of displaying the images? For me anyway, I think the old way was more intuitive and informative.

Attachments

• Attachments (Small).JPG
    Attachments (Small).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 296

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Thumbs vs full size images in attachments

cribbj said:
Ron, it looks like one of the most recent changes has been reducing the image sizes in the posts from "full size" to thumbnails.
Yep, we're on it. Just give us a few days to sort everything out. It will be inline and will not rely on outside hosts for the images to be inline. Something changed that I was not aware of that stopped the inline images from showing, it was not intentional. We had this problem before when we first installed VB and I can't remember the fix, but it'll be fixed. Thanks,

Ron

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Ron, when you figure it out, let me know how you did it!

We've been trying to sort this same issue out at the other forum without success :eek: It seems to be related to the upgrade we did of the vBulletin software.

Ron Earp

Admin
Test image inline setting. Lucas told me how to do it and I didn't think it was all that easy due to my interpretation of the switch. Under Attachment Options you'll find this option "Yes/No"

Enable Thumbnails
If your version of PHP supports image functions, you may enable the creation of thumbnails for images. This is the master switch to enable/disable thumbnail display. Go to Attachments -> Extensions & Sizes to choose what image types will be thumbnailed. You will need to go to Import & Maintenance ->
Update Counters -> Rebuild Attachment Thumbnails after changing these setting.

I thought this was like a global thing that disabled or enabled thumbnails of any type. It might, but if you turn it off the images are shown inline.

There is another one that I thought would do it:
View Attached Images Inline
If thumbnails are enabled, any image without a thumbnail will be shown as a link, regardless of this setting's status, unless the image size happens to be within the thumbnail size limits.

Set this to 'No' if you want to preserve bandwidth or server processor resources.

But that one was already on but it still wasn't working.

VB is a lot better than the old ubbthreads stuff we used, but I'm still far from understanding all the terminology in it.

Ron

Attachments

• GT40_Logo.jpg
    GT40_Logo.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 292
One other things. For some reason, the World Products banner is messed up,
and actually shifts the lower portion of the Scalextric image. The banner
itself seems to exceed the frame.

edit - checking the banners in the sponsors forum, I see that their banner is 700
pixels wide and 70 pixels high. Everyone else's is a max of 600 pix wide and 60
pix high. Maybe a resize will fix it?

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Ian,

It isn't messed up, it is there as a test case for 700x70 versus 600x60. If we get the login info arranged correctly we're going to go to 700x70 banners. If not, we stick with the old stuff.

We're still about 2 weeks away from having all the changes made. We still haven't upgraded the software and nailed down the layout.

Ron

Back