New owner

Hi all,

Just bought a Tornado TS40 which I will pick up next week. Not running at the moment and has a replacement set side of windows yet to be fitted. Real Steel Rover V8 and as yet not sure what spec this is but was told 350hp. First jobs are bleeding the clutch (new slave fitted but may need a master) and then get it running. Then it deperately needs a pair of seats as the ones fitted are generic buckets and spoil the look of the car as well as leaving me no head room.
Will post a few pics when i pick it up in a week or so time.

Trevor.

Welcome Trevor, sounds like a project. Make sure you research the seat options thoroughly, and bolt in what suits you. Makes all the difference to be comfortable, and not much padding is needed in a well shaped fibreglass shell, so you can sit low with some head clearance. In a 40, once you've driven around a bit and enjoyed it, ironed out the bugs, etc., you have to fit a Ford V8. It's compulsory.

I was hoping for some advice re the seats and which gave the best Support/room. Not looked at any yet except those on the Tornado website.
I was pleased there was a V8 in it when I went to see it and agree it should have a Ford fitted. Will see once it is on the road and look at my options.

Trevor.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Trevor

Sounds like a great project

350 hp Rover? Must have been tested on the TVR Dyno!
I have a Rover in mine at 3.9l with injection, remapped fuelling and a load of work by John Eales - it mananges about 240hp at flywheel. So I suspect the numbers may be out slightly. Not that that really matters as they are a light car and don't need much to move them along nice and briskly.

Seats - I have a pair of Dax ones I took out to get more headrom for a helmet to be work - if they are any good for you let me know

Cheers
Ian

Welcome Trevor, sounds like a project. Make sure you research the seat options thoroughly, and bolt in what suits you. Makes all the difference to be comfortable, and not much padding is needed in a well shaped fibreglass shell, so you can sit low with some head clearance. In a 40, once you've driven around a bit and enjoyed it, ironed out the bugs, etc., you have to fit a Ford V8. It's compulsory.

Dalton are you sure it's compulsory (Ford V8)

Darrell DRB #46
LS1 G50

Thanks all for the welcome

Ian,

Re 350BHP, That's just what I thought when he told me:cheesy:.
Once running and on the road i will get it on the dyno and see how far out it is and if it's really tame I will probably drop one of the crate engines in as they seem excellent value.

Trevor.

Welcome Trevor, enjoy the Tornado and the site here. There is a wealth of knowledge and also a good source of parts or leads to sources and you need just ask. As for the Ford V8 being compulsory I couldn't comment except that if you intend to show it I'm sure you will soon wish it did have a ford 302 in it, it does have that certain draw to the crowds, but don't rush to change a good V8 Rover without trying it first.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

Are you Trevor Skedge the model Jet pilot??

We have a new replica style seat which will be available in the next few weeks which gives maximium leg and headroom and is also suitable for IVA.

This seat will also fit all other GT40s.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, not flying much at the moment but should be at Chalgrove on Sunday for a refresher. Not seen you at the last couple of classic jets?. Will have a look on your site to see if I can find the seats, I assume they are up there?.
You got prices on these yet or shall I give you a call as not sure if you are allowed to publish thing like that on the forum.

Trevor.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

I have not been to a Classic jets for ages but still flying at a few local sites.
We always seem to be under lots of pressure to get cars out.
Info on the new seats is not released yet. Give me a call on 01562 820372.
If you know who was the original owner of the car let me know and I will trace the History back for you.

Thanks

Andy

Ok Andy will give you a call about the seats. Not sure yet who the builder was but will find out when I collect the car in a week or so. All I can tell you at the moment is it's silver, on a Q plate and apparently the previous owner was the builder and used to track it at Goodwood. I think the Rover that is in it at the moment is a replacement as the first one lost the will to live.
Think he lived north London ish.

Trevor.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

OK I think I know the car. Only a handful had the Rover engines fitted.
Go to Tornado TS40 Gallery page and its 4th from the top.
I will look it up on the files on Monday to see when it was manufactured etc.

Thanks

Andy

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

I am sure with a little work you can get it back to its former glory.

Give me a call on Monday and I will dig through the files to get its History.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Jason,

VX will take some beating and currentrly the benchmark for me. Interesting that when Andy weighed his GT40 it came out at the same weight as the VX exactly. This can only mean I will need 400+BHP to satisfy. Pics next week when i pick it up.

Trevor.

Forgot to take my camera to work on the Tornado tonight so all I can offer is a mobile phone vid. Got it running after cleaning the fuel system and finding a short on one of the circuits the control the injection. Sounded good although that wont come across on the vid. Next is sorting the seats and clutch master cylinder and I will be close to drive and MOT.
YouTube - ‪Trev's GT40 first run!‬‎

Trevor.

Back