new picture of my GD T70 on track

There is a "fix" supposedly to prevent cavitating. It involves some minor machining of the gerotor pump. I think opening up some passages in the pump to increase volume
and not pressure. Try ls1.com for info.

Chris,

The chassis fabrication and assembly is pretty much done, the engine tuned etc. Still a have to do alignment and weight balancing. Now have to finish the bodywork, which will be polished gelcoat. Have already finished the doors and the dash hoop, will work on the front and rear clips next.

For tires I am also using Toyos in the same size, though they are RA1s. Was a little concerned about getting the 255 under the front bonnet, but you did and looks amazing.

With regards to the last comment on LS oiling problems, the issue on LS7s was traced back to the oil tank - early models lacked both capacity, as well as adequate de aeration measures. So many of the engines that blew were getting fed aerated oil. A drysump expert I spoke to also said that the stock gerotor pressure pumps are not great at really high rpm because they work at crankshaft speed, and are not geared down as external pumps are. Above some threshold (mid 7000s?) the stock pumps are apt to start cavitating

Tom

hi Tom
initially i had the wrong offset front rims from Image which had to be remade as the fronts fouled quite badly, so ensure you get the right offset thro andy at GD. they will clear then although i did get some light fouling on the outer edge when trying to run a low ride height, so i had to raise mine back to the road car settings GD use. it seems to work quite well tho now.

oiling issues- the comments are all very interesting as i didnt really get a proper answer as to why my dry sumped LS1 picked up a bearing and just bought the bullet with a new block.
i had the ARE dry sump kit fitted and was running decent oil pressure, hot or cold. the bearings went while throwing the car around some bends at a test day without warning. i'd also ported the stock oil pump myself and tweaked the pressure relief setting to run slightly higher pressure, and had upped the revs to 6500rpm which it was hitting all the time. i was advised to scrap both my oil coolers as contaminated by metal bits and pieces after the engine blow up so it turned out an expensive repair in total. all the oil lines and tank were stripped and cleaned/flushed etc afterward.

i have no real idea if it was an engine issue or oiling or cavitation which is a shame not to get to the root cause with that old engine.

for the new short motor i've gone for a brand new uprated oil pump, and am still using the ARE dry sump, oil pressure is still pretty stable hot or cold, and i'm limiting myself to 6300rpm as the cam runs out of puff at that anyway, its only mild.
cheers

trackday footage from Teeside-
YouTube - Trackday Club Teesside Autodrome - More Footage

found this last night from the last trackday at teeside shot from inside someone elses car (westfield), first few minutes include a brief bit of footage with my T70 in front of him. normal trackday etiquette applied hence me moving over as he'd caught me up, but you can see the tight twisty nature of the track! good fun and will be back there.

Keith

Nice one Chris - looks really stable but no room to stretch your legs there at all.

That track is definitely Seven heaven.. :)

definately one to watch where you push it, a 200sx went off into a barrier the same day and took the front end off!

Back