New race car

Much more nasty toxic plating for export to Jac's down under disposal service.
Some really short primary pipes there, wonder how that effects the power curve?
The truest example of ''a bundle of snakes"

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
YO! Dat's some bling bling exhaust there dawg!! Haha You should really call Roland to come help you, I know he's bored. NOONE can resist playing with an old Indy car with a 4 cam Ford in the ass end, come on!! If I lived there I'd be over helping you. Or at least handing you tools while I drooled that is...

Beautiful machine, now thats a real vintage race car! Enjoy and keep us posted on track performance.
Bill (Wilby)

Dave a real petrolhead project, congratulations.

I am a little confused by the reference to your car as being a "Lola 39".
Lotus 39 yes that would work but body work and chassis look more like Lola 80 or 90

Can you comment?

I am a little confused by the reference to your car as being a "Lola 39".
Lotus 39 yes that would work....

Dave originally wrote "This car is a copy of a Lotus 29 and was entered in both the 66 and 67 Indy 500"

Seems to me the you two are saying the same things....almost. You say it would work as a "Lotus 39", Dave says it's a copy of a "Lotus 29". Did he say it was a Lola somewhere else in the thread?

Now I'm confused.

Last edited:
Mesa,

Yes in the opening post Dave refered to the car as a Lola39. seeing the non Lotus windscreen and apperently not the refuel it seems to more like a Lola 80 or 90 which ran in those years at Indianapolis finishing with the G Hill victory.

Also for Dave: your engine has no relation to the Cosworth DFX. that engine was an adjusted version of the Ford F1 DFV. As Ford did not wanted to pay it was sold as a Cosworth ad not Ford.

Great project, keep us in the picture.

Attachments

• lola90.jpg
    lola90.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 465
Further updates on the Indy Car;
I went to Indianapolis wednesday to meet with the head of the photo shop, David Hillberry and Donald Davidson, the historian of the Indy Car museum at the track.
I wanted to get some photos of the car and what information I could about it.
David spent a considerable amount of time researching photos from that era and had a selection picked out when we arrived.
Donald Davidson was with USAC for many years and remembered the car and several of the drivers. He also is going to research USAC records for me as to other races the car paticipated in.
These guys were great! They both love what they do and were very enthusiastic about the project.
The other cool thing we did was go to Race Car Restorations, owned and operated by Walter Goodwin and his engine builder, Eddie, who has been around this type of racing since 1954.
They were very familiar with the car , it turned out that it had been a fixture in their shop for the last 10 years! and just the week before the previous owner had turned up with several large boxes of spares, including some cooling and fuel fixtures that I needed and lots of springs and suspension parts, it was a very good day!
Walter and Eddie were very helpful and let me stay there and pester them with questions for 3 hours. There were several 4 cam's laying about and it was obvious that Eddie knows his way around these motors.
I learned a lot, met some great guys and had a great time!
Here is a picture of one of their motors and how mine will look soon.
Dave

Attachments

• PICT1546.JPG
    PICT1546.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 521
Hellum, Roger Ward's Lola was in Walter's shop, my car is definetly a copy of the Lotus 29. Back then, many cars were built without plans and that is apparently the case with the 3 cars, like mine, that were built by Al Craft.
But the general layout is very similar to the Lola.
Dave

David,
I too have to give the folks at the Indy Speedway (and museum) the highest marks in hospitality. Those people are great, they are really happy to see you, they enjoy thier work and they want to do thier best to make you feel welcome. I really can not say anything but good about my visit there.

If you have a chance, definitely visit. The place oozes history.

On the other hand Daytona was a whole different story.

Hi Brian, I am not as far along as I would like, to many things have interfered with my working on it. I do have it all stripped down and am sending out shocks, wheels and suspension parts to be rebuilt, cracked tested and coated. I am making a rotisserie and as soon as that is done I will strip the paint and replace a small part of the floor that has some corrosion (methanaol is not good for aluminum).
So far the car appears to be in pretty good condition and in a few more months will start to look like a race car again.
Thanks for your interest.
Dave

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
No problem, love to keep track of cool builds like this. You should go smack my Uncle Roland upside his head and tell him I said he should come help you out. LOL Man I wish I was closer to a lot of you guys so I could throw in my hands to help out. VERY cool cars being built around this forum.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
David,

I was trolling through old photos and came across this thread. Very cool stuff, what became of this project?

Hi Jim, the project is on track, I have rebuilt all 4 corners, I have a new windshield, a new Red Leather 12'' Lotus steering wheel, rebuilt steering rack, suspension parts and wheels are all powder coated, my Master Cylinders and calipers are rebuilt w/new stainless bores and pistons. I have removed the top from the car and have taken out the bad floor and the fuel cells.
As soon as I finish replacing the floor I will get it primed and sealed and get it to the upholstery shop and then I need to get new fuel cells, I have a complete set of spare cells but they are to old and stiff to get back in the car.
My plan is to have it on its wheels by this summer and from that point it will move along pretty quickly.
I will post some pictures later this month after the new floor is in.
Dave

Back