New to the world of the SL-C

Thanks for all the info guys.

Liking the enclosed wheel wells.

So. . . exhaust routing. . . for an exhaust system that will include some form of mufflers, is there a proposed routing and set of components that doesn't fry anything important on its way out the back of the car? Side exit seems simple, but as this will be 99% on the street, I need some mufflers.

Engines. . . . do the LS3 and front accessories fit directly without modification beyond reversing the intake, or are there other little adjustments or parts swaps. . . water pump, alternator relocation, etc.. . . needed to make it all come together?

Anyone thought about using a mendeola transaxle? My budget won't support the $30k LS7/Ricardo option. I'm thinking $14-15k for an LS3/Mendeola combo.

Jeez I wish there was one of these near me. . .

Cheers,

Ruth

Ruth

if purchased with an SL-C kit package the transaxles are sold at cost...which is currently around $8.3k with the UK exchange rate and shipping......the LS376 are available for $6600...ecu for another $900....

We do supply a modified waterpump outlet with an exchange pump and a service charge.The alternator uses a mount available from us or a stock low mount from GM. also.

We have a short belt front dress package available also with a billet mount, tensioner and pulley....in fact installed one today on an SL-C leaving for Texas tomorrow.

We also have exhaust talipipes available that have one CAT and one muffler per side..these we install using LS7 exhaust manifold which will happily support over 600hp...in fact a stock LS9 uses these same manifolds.

I have a Mendy box for mock up purposes but with the Ricardo being readily available and 1000hp strong, good shifting etc etc ...its a tough fight to go with anything else

Hope this helps.

Where does your alt mount locate it to? Upper/lower, driver, pass, etc...?

Also, how much is the modified waterpump outlet? I see you wrote something about an exchange and service charge...do you mean a core swap with the oem one?

Alex,

Alternator mounts lower driver side

water pump is you supply a new pump to us and we send you back a new modified unit with a service charge for making the modifications...

There are multiple pump configurations from GM so price is dependent upon the pump we receive..

Ruth, welcome to the forum here. No doubt you'll find everything you need.

I think you have the distinction of being the only female in the whole joint. So, if it feels like you just walked into a bar and the music just came to a screeching halt with the lights going on and everyone's looking at you, well, there's a reason for that.

I'm a big fan of Danica Patrick because it's great to see a woman kicking some butt in a male dominated forum. Sounds like you know what you're doing when it comes to gear head stuff!

Alex,

Alternator mounts lower driver side

water pump is you supply a new pump to us and we send you back a new modified unit with a service charge for making the modifications...

There are multiple pump configurations from GM so price is dependent upon the pump we receive..

Gotcha - when I'm getting towards final assembly I'll have them ship mine over :thumbsup:

if purchased with an SL-C kit package the transaxles are sold at cost...which is currently around $8.3k with the UK exchange rate and shipping

Wow. That's decent. Not sure where I got the $15k number. Looks like I could get an LS3/Ricardo combo for my budget. Very exciting.

We do supply a modified waterpump outlet with an exchange pump and a service charge.

Cool. I'm liking that I don't need to go to a bunch of different sources to put this all together.

The alternator uses a mount available from us or a stock low mount from GM.

The low GM mount. . . is that the mount that comes with the CTS accessory package in the GMPP catalog? I'd be buying that package anyway.

We have a short belt front dress package available also with a billet mount, tensioner and pulley....in fact installed one today on an SL-C leaving for Texas tomorrow.

What's the advantage to this, over the stock GM package?

We also have exhaust talipipes available that have one CAT and one muffler per side..these we install using LS7 exhaust manifold which will happily support over 600hp...in fact a stock LS9 uses these same manifolds.

Great. I didn't know that. I'll look for the info on the SL website

I have a Mendy box for mock up purposes but with the Ricardo being readily available and 1000hp strong, good shifting etc etc ...its a tough fight to go with anything else

Makes sense.

Fran, thanks again for indulging all my questions. Although this probably isn't the case for the hardcore fabricators here on this forum, having readily available and validated components to address these issues is a differentiator for me.

Cheers,

Ruth

Sounds like you know what you're doing when it comes to gear head stuff!

Cliff,

You flatter me, but I STRONGLY suspect I'm in the shallow end of the talent pool here. That's why I need to ask a million questions. My build experiences tend more towards things you buy at your high-end local bike shop:) However, I'm fairly mechanically inclined and a reasonably competent assembler. If I have some sort of reference. . . like a manual, build log, picture. . . I can figure most things out. When it comes to fabrication, I'm useless. So. . .researching, spec-ing, assembling. . .good to go, but it really helps to be able to buy components rather than fabricate them. If fab is required, unless its basic, I'll be paying someone to do it.

And you can be assured that I'll be studying every build log here several times before I commit. This is a pretty big investment for me so I need a high level of certainty with respect to what I'm getting myself into, anticipated cost, and the usability of the end result.

Fun times ahead.

Cheers,

Ruth

p.s. Its great that we have 3-4 women in IRL, but they need to win a race now and then and Milka needs to stop embarrassing herself.

Ruth,

Cam has his LS3/Ricardo making "burnouts" on his street already! That's going to be a great combination for the street and track days.

BTW, thanks for all of the questions. It seems there are many more options provided by Fran now (got to make my wish list). Hopefully, we will get some "trickle-down" from the LMP guys as well.

Of the people I know building cars Cam is building/built his closest to the way (I think) RCR designed it to be built. IMO he pretty much built it by the 'book', did not waste any time doing so and probably has a good grip on the 'standard' build from a home builder's experience. He also provided a nice service with his build log recording and relaying some details that are basic to all our builds.

Of the people I know building cars Cam is building/built his closest to the way (I think) RCR designed it to be built. IMO he pretty much built it by the 'book', did not waste any time doing so and probably has a good grip on the 'standard' build from a home builder's experience. He also provided a nice service with his build log recording and relaying some details that are basic to all our builds.

Mesa, thanks for that. Sometimes I wonder if anyone looks at the build log. i hope it helps someone out there. I just posted a bunch of headlight/mirror stuff with Frans new mounts. Oh, another burnout
YouTube - PA030077.AVI

I know i cut it off early but i was sliding it into the trash cans!

Cam,

I follow all of the SLC build logs, including yours! The information is greatly appreciated by those of us contemplating a build.

John

And now. . the big question. . . what’s it gonna take?

For those working on a car, you already know this, but to me absent the opportunity to review a build manual its not clear. Not too concerned about the number of hours, because it will be what it will be. More concerned about the TYPE of work. If I spring for the Total Stages option, add in the handbrake assembly, interior fully trimmed panel kit, factory body fitment and factory body prep, and source all the parts that Fran listed, I’m trying to size the amount of work that remains be done to complete the car? I wouldn’t expect someone to list every detail, but maybe for simplicity sake, just summarize the major work groupings. With FFR I got this info by buying the manual.

And it looks like basic material costs will be around $70k minimum.

Cheers,

Ruth

if purchased with an SL-C kit package the transaxles are sold at cost...which is currently around $8.3k with the UK exchange rate and shipping.

Fran,

Follow-up question. . . what does that include? Just the transaxle, or does that include clutch, flywheel, shifter, cables, starter?

My reference is the Mendeola package that includes all those items and transaxle capable of handlinge LS3 power for ~$7600.

Cheers,

Ruth

Ruth,

thats does not include any of the service items other than the shifter and adapter plate as they are included in the kit.

Ricardo clutches are not cheap unfortunately $1900-2000 depending upon discounts they are available from Ford or Stillen only, starter is a Ford only part ...we make the flywheels in house along with the pilot bearings...$495 for the pair.

A G50 will also handle the power and they are available as a fitment in the SL-C too.

The car leaving for Texas today has the new street tail,with our body fitting,latching ..I will post pics later...and you can gauge it from there...

Last edited:
Back