New TRT Transaxle

His profile shows the last time he logged in was 11/24/2007...two days after 429 Mustang's eloquent speculation. :stunned:

I hope Richard is OK. He's a great guy, extremely intelligent, and a great asset to the GT40 community. I had the pleasure of visiting him in Dallas a couple years ago and seeing his car - certainly the most impressive GT40 I've EVER seen.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm confused. You have already done what once. It shows this is your first post ?? I had expressed intrest early on in Richards transaxle. I made the inital small deposit that he asked for. He refunded my deposit shortly afterwords, and asked we wait for updates. I was very impressed with the quality and workmanship from Richard and his honesty and integrity. What have I missed??

Kindest Regards
Brian

Hi Brian
you are not alone, I'm also confused with this cryptic post?
This Forum demands better, come on spell out what you are trying to say.

regards

Chris.

I wonder if ..DeLynn.. has already dabbled in the transaxle design/development game & being 'new' to the forum was just asking if he could help. Sometimes...just sometimes... 'we' can be too quick to judge.:)

.... check out his ..about me... in his profile, he has been down this road before.

Last edited:
I have all ready done this once,
would like to help.
Please reply. so that we can take this off line...

delynn

Is this the same DeLynn that built his OWN transaxle that mailed me info when I lived in Texas a few years back, and I subsequently lost that info except for the pics that I still have in black and white?????

Thanks Bigfoot,

I was going to respond to RamboLambo comment:

"but helical cut gears are in general stronger than straight cut gears."

I don't know where you got your information, but its just the opposite (less teeth which equals more root in the same ratio of gear, plus the contact patch is a lot bigger which means more area to transferring the power). Also, not one race box has helical gears, because it takes 1.5 to 1.75 times the weight to transfer the same amount of power (wider or bigger diameter gears). There are many books on this and I suggest we take this offline or to another thread.

There are also many books that state that Helical gears are stronger due to the increase in tooth width and the smooth engagement of the gear teeth as they mesh.(straight cut gears tend to suddenly engage and disengage making noise).

The main advantages to straight cut gears are they are less costly to manufacture and are more efficient at transferring power as there is no thrust forced generated which means you can also forgo thrust bearings and use lighter case designs. You will never see straight cut gears in a production car due to the noise generated, but this is deemed acceptable in race conditions.

I've seen straight cut gears gall, strip and fail where helical cut gears work fine, and the exact opposite so specific instances aren't a good comparison.

I agree with most of what Scott says, but let me add possibly more than you wanted to know:

In theory, helical gears should be stronger because their contact ratio is about 1/3 higher (approx 2.1 vs 1.35). In the real world of racing however, straight-cut gears are quite a bit stronger. This is why F1 cars (in which gears are less than 1/2" in width) utilize straight-cut gears exclusively ... as does virtually every racing transmission that has seen 10+ years of development (or borrowed from past development).

As a straight-cut gear tooth engages, the load is spread across the full width of the tooth from the beginning of its engagement until the end of its engagement.

As a helical-cut gear tooth engages, the load begins at one side, and works its way to the other side of the tooth as the gear pair rotates. This side-to-side engagement sets up a tearing motion (as clearly evidenced by the way in which a helical gear tooth breaks).

This tearing motion is compounded by the fact that all idler gears require clearance to rotate on their respective needle bearings. The greater the clearance, the more the gear is cocked when heavily loaded, and the further away the gear pair is from ideal mesh. (The real bitch is that racing transmissions, which run at ridiculously high temperatures, require a tad of extra clearance on the idler bore to avoid seizing.)

A straight-cut gear doesn't care how much clearance there is in the idler. Because the load is always distributed across the full width of the tooth, it won't cock.

Straight-cut gears are usually also dogged gears (large engagement lugs, rather than small synchro teeth) ... but it is a misconception to believe that these two features must go hand-in-hand. There are synchronized straight-cut gears, and there are dogged gears (both H-pattern and sequential) that have helical-cut gear teeth.

Off the soapbox now.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This post is 7 years old. Read my earlier post. Richard refunded my money way back in 2009. Read the complete thread, for better info.

Keith

Hi Patrick, so were a lot of people unfortunately, this is all 7 years ago. Check post dates.

I don't believe it ever came to fruition but it was certainly promising. However, there are now quite a few alternatives on the market..

Back