Newbie looking for advice.

HI everyone
I would like to ask all you wise people a few questions on building a gt40
I am practical but not much experience in mechanics but am looking to start my own gt40 build.
So far i think i need chassis,engine,body,wheels,gearbox/exhaust,electrics and gauges,heating system and radiators,interior,fuel system,brakes and clutch.
Is that it or am i missing some major items.
My total on those items is £35000 which to me seems a lot any way to get this cost down
i am going off tornado and southern gt prices for all parts
Obviously i cannot afford to buy and do all in one hit what would you recommend ,i am think chassis with premade ally panels then engine and gearbox,then electrics
Is there a order to build that makes financial and practical sense.
All answers are much appreciated
Thanks
Pete

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Pete!
I’d strongly advise that you take advantage of some of the build logs to get your answers. Also if you share your location, you may very well be able to connect with someone local to you...
The GT40 is not generally considered to be a very good “first” owner constructed car - but it can certainly be done...

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Hello Pete and welcome,

There is an initial problem if you think £35k seems a lot and you are asking us if you have missed anything.
For example your workshop tooling and outside shop labour in the UK is expensive.

Have you though about finding an unfinished chassis project ?

Maybe you can get some of your initial costs down if you perhaps think out of the box and fabricate your own chassis and panels.
To enable this check out some evening classes for light fabrication and welding, if you do at least you will feel more confident with your skills on the build ahead of you.
Your new skills will cost you nothing up front and help you make up your mind as to what you really want tempered by your own capabilities and assist in finalising a proper cost estimate.

Have a look at Benjamin's excellent chassis build log here :

The method in Benji's videos may appear complex to you at first but his professionalism makes it look simple and the key factor is good welding and fabrication skills backed up with draughtsmanship to get the tube sections measured and cut exactly to fit. Good tools are also necessary.
Some folk also sell ready pre-cut tube packages and frame drawings if you are worried about scrapping a lot of material. (if you decide on this be very careful as to whom you buy one of these packages from) It's not my chassis preference but the guys on here can maybe help with this advice.

Anyhow now you must take your time and work out a solid cost and time plan for everything which suits your life cash flow priorities (especially if you have a family), and don't get carried away and con yourself that you can complete a top spec car any cheaper if you are not skilled enough because there is a major difference between a poorly completed kit car and a GT40 replica (whatever the view of "replica" means).
And remember if you can't do it somebody else will be paid a lot to do it for you.

Goof fortune to you whatever you do.

As JimmyMac said: There is an initial problem if you think £35k seems a lot and you are asking us if you have missed anything.
I am already at £70k and haven't paid the paintshop yet... I am not even finished but close to it. I still have to buy four Avon tires also.
I did build it budged wise and Ill totaly build it myself with the exception of the paintshop which is outsourced.
My tools are not in the calculation as i already have those

Hi Pete , I would suggest buying a older car that needs some work but not valuable . You can practice and learn new skills without spending a lot of money. I started learning this stuff over thirty years ago and have taught others along the way , take your time learning then go to bigger projects .

Howard Jones

Supporter
I would agree with David. Here is an idea. Take the same time frame you expect to build your car in and devote that time to find the best completed car that needs the least work for the best price to re-do to your vision. Generally speaking, you get all the labor costs for free and a bit of a discount on the total value of the parts if you purchase a "needs a bit of work" car. Then you can do small fix-it projects to complete the car.

Plan on buying a car that is registered and you can avoid that also.

Now to be fair, you should expect to pay more than L35K, but the amount you save will be considerable and you will have a car sooner I would think. Join all the UK-based clubs and go to the events to meet people. That in itself is very satisfying as these are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Good luck

Back