Oddest GT40 Trips...

Many runs in my old CAV to HomeDepot for plumbing supplies and such, lots of school runs with my son too - emptied out his classroom more than once.

Probably the strangest for me however was a run to a charity event in December in Seattle a few years back being hosted by Jay Leno. I thought there was a chance to meet Jay perhaps, and an opportunity to show off the car to him (there was). On the way there however it started to snow....a s-load. The way over wasn't too bad, some slipping and sliding around on the streets But by the time the event ended there was a good four or five inches of snow everywhere along with some ice. I jumped in and hit the road....surprisingly, the car went pretty well in the snow with the LSD probably helping. When I finally got to my driveway the snow was really deep and I got stuck. Got out the snow shovel (about 1am in the morning...) and dug a path to the garage...car in safe and sound.

Interesting drive.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I'm late to the party but I found a few pictures in my files for the 2005 LCS

Who is this?

DSCN2511.JPG

DSCN25091.JPG

Pat

Supporter
A couple of years ago one of the car clubs to which I belong received a request from the organizers of a local charity event to participate in what had been in past years a Central Florida motorcycle poker run. Because it was a charity event, the organizers were looking for ways to boost the attendance and figured they could do so by adding cars to the participants. For those of you not familiar with the term, a “Poker run” is a staged event over a designated course with five stops and a finish. At each stop (normally is a place of interest) a sealed envelope playing card is drawn and at the finish the cards are opened and whoever has the best poker hand wins donated prizes with the entry fees going to charity. Sounded like fun so the wife and I signed up the ’40.
Surprise number one we are the ONLY car there. Surprise number two, there are also over 150 motorcycles including two rival motorcycle gangs. Surprise number three, at the 9:00AM start, we are apparently the only ones who had not begun what had turned out to be a day of prodigious beer drinking. Surprise number four, the “places of interest” turned out to be various biker bars spread throughout rural Central Florida.
At the first stop we were greeted by three very large men who welcomed the thundering hoard of Harleys surrounding a very small 40 inch GT. One of the bikers ahead of us with the name of “Big Lou” on the back of his jacket approached the three greeters of an establishment named “The One Percenters” and pointing to our car announced, “It’s OK, they’re with us”. Smiling, Big Lou told us we didn’t need to worry as the establishment’s “security” will make sure nobody messes with our car (and growing throng of arriving motorcycles) while we’re inside enjoying ourselves. “The One Percenters” was a pretty interesting place with a bar, about two dozen tables and a stage separated from the clientele by chicken wire. Big Lou explained that the patrons may get a bit rowdy from time to time and express their feedback to the various musical performances by throwing things at the musicians such as plates of food, beer bottles and on rare occasions, each other. We signed in promptly as we had no weapons to surrender and drew our first card. We were then joined by several other event participants who ordered libations. Being approximately 10:00AM, we ordered coffee, the others, two pitchers of beer. We discussed the ’40, Harley’s, chrome plating vs power coating and discovered Big Lou was actually an accountant and his friend Wendell, an off duty police detective.
After our coffee most remained finishing their libations and we hit the road to the next stop. While I won’t bore everyone with the details, it made “The One Percenters” look like the ballroom at the Waldorf Astoria. We mingled a bit, grabbed our card envelope and continued to the remaining stops. Finally we finished and while we didn’t win anything we had a great time. The photos are what most of the trip looked like from inside the ’40.

Attachments

• Poker Run 1.JPG
    Poker Run 1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Poker Run 2.JPG
    Poker Run 2.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 258

Malcolm

Supporter
I have a good trip coming up on Remembrance Weekend and seems I have been given more of a star billing than expected!

On 6th to 8th November at Anglesey Race Circuit Mission Motorsport are running their 2015 Race of Remembrance event and it is a great event and one I am pleased to be part of.

Mission Motorsport - Race of Remembrance 2015

So not only am I crew chief to a couple of Mazda's in the races but seem to be sharing the track with a Lotus F1 car to help raise funds for Mission Motorsport on Supercar Saturday. Should be entertaining as the car has been laid up for years......

What is so cool about this endurance race event is the fact that the race stops at 10:45 am for a remembrance service in the pit lane with RAF band and Welsh male voice choir and instead of everyone shaking the chaplains hand at the end of the service he shouts out, "Gentlemen restart your engines!" and off we go again.

Back