Oil filters

Thank's Hershal, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Re Filters - No problem.
I'm looking forward to my new RF but in one way I feel I may have made a mistake by not building it myself. It seems that you have a fine reputation for turning up to help and making things fall together smoothly while never forgetting the fun. It would have been a good excuse to meet you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim.

I drove a 1984 Lincoln MK-7 for 11 yrs. using Mobil One and Motorcraft filters puting on 160,000 miles. I changed oil and filter every 5,000 miles. At about 150,000 miles I had to replace a valve cover gasket. The engine was so clean inside you could see the color code on the springs and the head looked like a new casting. Car used no oil between changes. I also changed Air filters every 10,000 miles. That was one of the best 302 engines I ever had. I will be using Mobil One and Motorcraft oil filters in my 40.

Vic
CAV 40

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Mobile 1 is the only oil I use as well. Heck at M.I.S. I only had 4 quarts in a 11 quart system and running full bore from 6,500 to 7,500 rpms my motor lasted 16 min. before spinning a rod bearing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I would say that was pretty good considering the abuse the engine took getting what must have amounted to no oil at all. Never mind about the story behind why there was only 4 quarts of oil in my motor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Question??? When I was in the service back in the 1960's they put something like Slick 50 in the helicopter engines in case it lost oil. In the tests they found that with only oil the engine would run only 15 minutes after the oil was drained out and with the additive it would run 1 hour after the oil was removed. It would give the pilot extra time to get out of the battle zone after losing oil. This is with a turbin engine @ 50,000 rpm. How about a car engine?? Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have been told by at least 3 people who have been in the business building motors and racing cars, sprint and drag, NEVER use those cast type remote filter fixtures. They will crack at the fitting boss spraying high pressure oil all over the rear tires. Moroso makes a very good billit type and thats what I have used.

By the way, I went out into the garage and took off my fram and pitched it into the garbage. Thanks for the post!!!!
The moroso looks ok per the pictures above and fits in the same palce.

Back