Oil Surge = Misfire?

. And then if Jac Mac comes over and does all the work and reconfiguring for free, plus he crews for us, again for free, well, it seems like a good deal!! :)

While overwhelmed by your gracious offer I will have to refuse it:stunned:, just as I turned down the even more lucrative one extended by Fran some time ago. My digestive system simply wont function on a peanut only diet.:lipsrsealed:

Ron Earp

Admin
While overwhelmed by your gracious offer I will have to refuse it:stunned:, just as I turned down the even more lucrative one extended by Fran some time ago. My digestive system simply wont function on a peanut only diet.:lipsrsealed:

I understand. Besides, it is a long way to come to fit a dry sump.

But, if you do manage to get up here in North Carolina you've always got a place to stay and have a beer - and that is a completely free offer. Do be a kind soul and bring another bottle of some Brancott Reserve with you. I'm sipping from a 2007 Pinot and it is quite tasty and not expensive at all ($13.50/bottle at Total Wine). You fellows are making some nice wines down there!

Well, finally got sump fitted and tried it out on the track on the weekend. Turns out the Canton sump (15-630S) seems to do the job. I only had very limited time on the track where I could actually push it hard, but on a long180 deg corner the oil pressure didn't budge from 3 bar (45 psi) despite me finding the limit of grip on corner exit under full throttle. So, not a exhaustive test, but seems to be doing the job.

And a newly fitted throttle position sensor seems to have fixed up the stutter and misfire when accelerating out of corners. The old one was starting to play up and required constant idle adjustments. Since the computer relies on the TPS alone to determine engine load, a smoothly operating TPS makes all the difference.

Anyways, pic of car on track with Ferraris is in the picture/video forum.

And a newly fitted throttle position sensor seems to have fixed up the stutter and misfire when accelerating out of corners. The old one was starting to play up and required constant idle adjustments. Since the computer relies on the TPS alone to determine engine load, a smoothly operating TPS makes all the difference.

Anyways, pic of car on track with Ferraris is in the picture/video forum.

Great that you have the oil control problem nailed!

Out of curiosity why are you using alpha-N and not speed density in your EFI set-up? Using TPS for the load axis is more suited to max effort drag race engines with super radical cams running wide open and in a narrow RPM range. I would have thought the tractibility requirements of a road race weapon, not to mention the pottering around the pits and cruise etc, would make speed density a better way to go.

Cheers, Andrew

Well, finally got sump fitted and tried it out on the track on the weekend. Turns out the Canton sump (15-630S) seems to do the job. I only had very limited time on the track where I could actually push it hard, but on a long180 deg corner the oil pressure didn't budge from 3 bar (45 psi) despite me finding the limit of grip on corner exit under full throttle. So, not a exhaustive test, but seems to be doing the job.

Hi Julian,

Great news, I'm glad the Canton sump seems to have cured the oil surge. Out of interest, how do you monitor the oil pressure whilst driving? Do you just watch the gauge or do you have a low pressure warning light or even datalogging?

Regards

Nothing exotic for data logging, in car video does the job. I've got all the dataloggers you could imagine at work, but using them feels like work too much!

Tps mapping is used as I have an 8 stack setup, which the tuners assure me does not give sufficient resolution if using map load sensing. I do have a decent cam in the motor too, which does not help either. Drives perfectly smoothly for what the motor is. My previous car was a bridgeported and turbo rotary. Despite the bridgeporting which is equivalent to a large overlap cam, it used only map sensing happily at low load off boostg. Go figure...

Tps mapping is used as I have an 8 stack setup, which the tuners assure me does not give sufficient resolution if using map load sensing. I do have a decent cam in the motor too, which does not help either. Drives perfectly smoothly for what the motor is.

I've got an 8-stack hilborn EFI set-up - hilborn leave the original mechanical fuel lines and distribution block in place in their EFI set-ups (fuel injectors are down the middle) and turn that into source of manifold vacuum for MAP sensor.

Cheers, Andrew

Back