Open letter to Jim Price of Hi-Tech

Hi-Tech/Superformance comes through again. Good product support (before the fact, in this case) that inspires confidence that we will be buying (or have bought) a quality item that will be supported with necessary information.

The approach I used rust-proofing production cars was to get the car up on jack stands, crawl under it and locate openings and orifices in the underbody and lower half of the sides leading to interior cavities. Having done, so I would stick the application wand up into said interior cavity (including the interiors of doors, etc.) and blast the rust-proofing medium onto all the surfaces of the cavity. Production cars, designed and developed with longevity in mind, have a minimum of potentially problematic openings and interior orifices that might trap water, especially in the vicinity of the wheel wells where lots of water gets thrown during wet driving, so you are wise to try to locate all such interior cavities in the GT40's design.

Jim, thanks for taking the time to post a reply. The pictures of chassis #1 tells a lot about the craftsmanship that went into building the car. I suppose it would be impossible to show every piece and I’m not sure an exploded view of the chassis pieces exists anywhere but a man can hope. I’ve spent some time with the car now and I’m formulating a plan of attack. I’m sure the use of Zinc in the construction will help but I can see where the welding process has taken some of that away. Any additional information you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming the letter is still being written, Mr. Price please wash/clean out the fuel tanks before sealing them up. I am on filter #2 with only 171 miles on my car. I've been told, by a very reputable source, that I am to expect maybe 1 or 2 more filter changes before things get cleaned up.

Rich.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I can certainly attest to this....
I've had to take my filter out 4 times when I was driving the car with the carb on it. The car would stop... and then start immediately if let sit for awhile. I found that if I turned off the fuel pump and waited 10 seconds, I could keep going. Seemed to let the crap settle for awhile...

Silicone bits, metal shavings, pieces of lint/rags and other unidentified 'stuff' kept plugging up the filter.

I am using a a primary filter that I can open and clean and the last time seemed to show fewer bits and it took much longer to plug.
So now that I have the EFI on, I hope I don't have to do it again!
It's much harder to remove the filter now that I have put the second pump and extra hoses.

FWIW,
Kirby

Assuming the letter is still being written, Mr. Price please wash/clean out the fuel tanks before sealing them up. I am on filter #2 with only 171 miles on my car. I've been told, by a very reputable source, that I am to expect maybe 1 or 2 more filter changes before things get cleaned up.

Rich.

Back