Original GT40 Body?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
My car's body was made from the molds owned by Safir GT40. I saw the molds when the body was made. It does not have the undercut you illustrated, although it is a very nice styling touch, if you ask me. The molds were obviously old and had to be reconditioned by the glass shop doing the body panels. I was told they were the molds that Peter Thorp used to build the 35 or so cars that he built as Mark Vs when he was producing GT40s. How many original sets of Mark I and Mark II molds ever existed, I have no idea. Probably not that many at first. No doubt there are more now.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful feedback. What a great community!
Presumably the two sets of KVA molds which went to the States were the Mk1 and Mk3 as produced by Ken Atwell.
I am keen to find out if the Mk1 molds have survived and if so, where they are now and are they serviceable.
My car was built by Ray Mallock Home - RML Group - From Concept to Reality in 1992 and is the 5th of only five cars produced and with body panels sourced at that time from KVA.
Any more feedback, names, contact details, whereabouts, would be much appreciated.

Back