P-51, 2 P-40s (and another fuselage), P-38...

Earlier this fall, I encountered a genuine 289 cobra in Appleton, WI and thought I was living right. Yesterday, as my family traveled back to Wisconsin from turkey day in South Dakota, I noticed a very large propeller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif sticking out from behind a building about a 1/4 mile off the highway just south of a very small Minnesota town. I had to go look despite the gasps of my wife. I stumbled into an amazing collection of WWII aircraft owned by a Fortune 500 company owner. On the airport ramp was a beautiful P-51 in polished aluminum. Inside the first of 3 hangars was a full-on P-40 warhwak restoration in mid project (one of 2 P-40s recovered from a crash site in Russia...apparently Mr. F. owns both of the recovered planes). In the second hangar were corporate aircraft which I only breifly saw through an open door. Inside the third hangar was another collection of planes headlined by a P-38 Lightning and an airworthy P-40 Warhawk. The owner is an ethanol plant designer/developer and was busy talking w/ another fellow when I arrived and departed. He was very kind to me as a total stranger and allowed me to look around as mcuh as I liked. I wish that I had been able to speak to him more but am elated to have had the opportunity to see his aircraft. I took as many pics as possible w/ my wifes film camera and can post them when I get them developed (if anyone is interested).

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Very nice discovery. Was the P-38 original? There are under 30 known to exist in the world!

Regards
oliver

I'm not very knowledgable in the world of replica aircraft. Are there replicas? This one was in nearly unmarked (only paint I saw was a S/N and fuel requirements) aluminum and looked every bit the part of a ~60 year old original. My teeth nearly fell out of my head when I saw it.
-Scott

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm sure they were not replicas. There are seven registered P38s with N numbers that can fly. There are a couple more that are under restoration back to airworthy status. As far as rare goes, certainly rare to see, but they are not nearly as rare as many other famous WWII aircraft such as the ME109, FW190, P39, ME262 (none flying), Lancaster, etc.

For some really neat replicas check out the ME262 replicas being built in Texas:

http://www.stormbirds.com/

They have flown two (I think) now and three are for sale.

Ron

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Ron, There are replicas of the P-38 lightning. When I was at oshkosh a couple years back there was one there on display next to an original. If you look up P-38 on the web, you will see a list of p-38's flight worthy , wrecked, or under restoration. There is also a couple of replicas.They also have P-51 mustang replicas. I know for sure because my brother has one.

Best regards

Oliver

Ron Earp

Admin
I know there are replicas of WWII Warbirds, hence my listing for 262 replicas.

I was merely pointing out "for sure they are not replicas" based on the fact that the owner is an owner of a Fortune 500 magazine and typically those fellows generally have the cash to play with the real thing. And of course, the most obvious reason, the fact that said owner told Scott that one of the P40s was one of two recovered from a crash site in Russia. Folks don't restore replicas that they recover from crash sites in Russia.

I've been interest in DR1 replicas for quite some time and have looked at a couple, one locally and one in Texas. Still not convinced plane ownership is for me though and am content to fly with the club for the moment.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Ron,

Take it easy! The plane I was talking about was the p-38. I didn't ask if they were all replicas. The p-38 is so rare it may be a replica. If you can find one for sale, he would have to come up with at least 30 + million fully restored.. the other planes recovered from russia are not as rare. And, Beieng that he has a fortune 500 company does'n mean anything. You are only guessing they are real because he has money. Look what happend to ENRON! Just because he owns a big company does'nt mean that he owns everything authentic. Look at Jay Leno. He surly can afford any authentic car he may desire. However in his corral, he has several replica's...one being a GT40. So don't be so quick to snap and make assumptions unless you know for sure. You don't! you are starting to sound like me.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

goday mate

Oliver

Ron Earp

Admin
Sorry, bad morning.

I'm pretty sure they are real. One of my flying magazines just did an article.profile on a CEO in the mid-west that flys his P51 around VFR to company meetings. Said he didn't like to fly the thing IFR, even thought it was capable. I'm going to look in my bedside stack and see if it is in there, was about 3-5 months ago. Had his name, naturally, and indicated he did own other warbirds but the 51 was his favorite for regular flying duties. I bet it is the same dude.

Ron

John B

Temp Selling Pass
I didn't want to get in a contest if they are real or not. It's nice to even gaze on a replica for the p-38 happens to be my favorite warbird. More than likely the plane is real due too there may only be a couple p-38 replicas in the world; and from the description of his facility, would only
salitify the fact due to the expense involved in this type of restoration. Of course the immenserable cost are by private individuals and is inconcievable by the common worker. However, many of these operations are funded by private donations. In addition to donations, the individuals performing the restorations are usually x- military A&P's and career pilots. Lets be real!
If you had the opertunity to help in the restoration of a GT40 and you had the skills of doing so.
Would'nt you volunteer? I know I would!

regards Oliver

Oliver,
Certainly no offense taken here...just trying to give credit where it seems due. Mr. Fagen is also listed as a former Canadian aerobatics champion so it seems that he has aeroshell in his veins and ethanol streaming from his bladder!!!
-Scott

Ron Earp

Admin
Absolutely I'd help with things like that, and hope to in the future. The crew that runs Rare Bear, the Reno racer, is a lot of fantastic volunteers and one of them, a SCCA racer, designed their whole data collection system for that aircraft from scratch. Just used his knowledge learned from doing the same for race cars. Cost? Nothing, just devoted his time to something he loves.

the Me-262 is maybe the one featuring ex T38 Talon engines?.
From what i know even the engines were the problem of the airplane.

...and think also at our Macchi Mc.202 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.
Few planes, but great ones(more acrobatic than warbirds indeed...we always prefer racers that war planes..)

Paul

Ron Earp

Admin
No, the ME262 was the first (yes I know about the Gloster Meteor, it all comes down to the definition of operational) operational jet fighter of WWII and was powered by two Junkers Jumo 004 engines which were fairly horrible by modern standards. And standards then! As far as I know the T38 Talon is a jet trainer that dates from the early 60s with a GE engine that has no direct DNA with the Junkers Jumo.

R

Love GT40,
The Macchi Mc. 202. Was that the racing seaplane with the counter rotating props? My grandmother saw that plane, I think she said there was two of them painted bright red that came to the US to race. They flew up and down the coast showing off. The racing seaplanes are my favorite!
Hey Ron, I had a ride in a P51 back in 1970 at Matha's Vineyard. Flying around the island was like flying around a postage stamp floating in the water! That plane is fast. It was owned by Robert Follton, decendant of the inventer. He was and inventer too. He invented the recovery system for the Air Force where they use a C-130 to pick up a person tethered to a balloon. I was in a sqordron that had those C-130's. Owr planes were use in one of the James Bond movies. I flew may times on rescue missions.
War birds. A friend has a Beech C-45 painted up military yellow & blue that we fly just about every morning for a breakfast a flight. The price of fuel is killing us though! Thirty gallons per hour each engine.... Wow!

yep, Ron, I know it.
I was asking about the replica plane, cause i saw a modern build me.262 using ex T38 trainer engines.
Originals jumo...yes..they were terrific(probably BETTER for all us they were so terrific in quality)

The other plane was not the mc.202, but the Macchi Castoldi MC.72, a true racer horseplane, famous to me a rekordmaker in the 1927 Schneider Cup done over lakes and sea.
I know the Macchi Mc72 had a stunning rekord of high speed at sealevel( 707 km/h... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) Done by marshall "Agello" and just beated in the '90s.

The mc.202 was a fighter plane using early Bf109's db601 engines built in Italy by Alfa Romeo(RA1000)
Here some pictures:
mc_202_folgore.sized.jpg

mc.202

avio39.jpg

Macchi Castoldi Mc.72

Paul

P.S HERE u will see me.262 replica

Ron Earp

Admin
Paul,

Got you and understand. That link for 262 replicas you list is the same one I listed on post four in this thread.

Ron

I've put teh imgaes in my albums at: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2116862926 . I can e-mail higher res images to people if they want to post them here. The pics are from a film camera and so are not top-notch but are still acceptable (in my book). The camera was loaded w/ my wifes default film speed (400) and had a bunch of turkey day pics on it when I started. I ran out fo film in the hangar w/ the P-38 (had I only known).
-Scott

Those P-40s and P-51 and P-38 are real not replicas. P-38 was at Oshkosh last summer. One of the best in the world. Those two P-40s have a lot of history. Phillip

Back