P1001

Morning Jim.. thanks for the advice which is always good. However, as with the direct line fuel pressure gauge, it'll be wired as per original.. warts & all.. "FIRE IN THE COCKPIT, HOUSTON"! Best Wishes.. Andrew

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, put it right next to the fuel pressure line, and if you survive all this, you will get a new forum handle...... "Lucky"........ all the best :)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, that's what I would do, but Andrew seems not to want to put that in. Then again, all the original cars did fine, so maybe it will be fine. I hope so.

A viable option is to incorporate a shunt connecting the two terminals on the ammeter. Some of the current passes through the gauge, and some passes through the shunt. It prevents the gauge from frying, and allows power to continue flowing if the gauge breaks. While it impacts the accuracy of the reading (assuming the gauge is accurate, which is by no means a given--it IS British after all! :laugh: ), as long as you view the ammeter as merely a trend instrument (yes I'm charging :thumbsup:, or oh crap I'm discharging :shocked: ), then a shunt is a pretty good idea.

The first couple of thousand Panteras originally routed all their power through the ammeter; later cars came with a brass shunt across the terminals, from the factory. Oddly, although both terminal wires were heavily insulated, the shunt was left bare metal, a definite hazard. So whatever you do, make sure you insulate it fully.

MYSTERY SOLVED! I spent a very enjoyable evening the other night speaking with Ronnie Spain about GT40s.. "surely not"! As we were talking over the phone, the conversation, naturally, got around to my own car "P/1042". Ronnie was pleased that I had distinguished it from GT40P/1042, but neither of us was 100% sure about the connection, until he mentioned that Jean Blaton, who owned the original car in the late 1980s/early 90s, sold the car to Chris Fox of Lola Cars Ltd fame. "HEY PRESTO", as that is the first name on my UK registration document, it stating he had bought it in 1994, but being manufactured in 1966 and painted yellow at the time of sale. The car had later been sold to Chris Chiles and painted red/white before being exported from the UK. My car has a small amount of original chassis work stitched into it, my restorer in NZ having been friends with Chris, and the motor indeed coming from the Blaton car, as Stuart from Mathwall Engineering Ltd had done the Belgium's engine work for him. The circle, hence, really is a complete 360 degrees now. Thank you to Ronnie Spain. We also spoke about the intended colourscheme i.e. irmine white with dark green stripes and gold wheels, as GT40P/1001 was in 1967. Ronnie liked this and repeated, that it was good that I was trying to distinguish my car from the two others, not been in Essex Wire nor Scudieria Filipinetti colours. He is, naturally, tired of fakes purporting to be the "real deal" and, hence, applauds my honesty. I think Ronnie is generally impressed that someone with my disability.. have I not told you this. but I have been totally blind for over twenty five years.. has reconstructed a GT40 from so many period original parts. I think it will be mentioned in Ronnie's new book if I'm lucky... Andrew

Andrew, this story never ceases to amaze. I continue to follow your progress with excitement as to its next installment. Can't wait to see the final product.

Re: P/1042 (1001)

Thanks Jimmy. Yes, this project certainly keeps me entertained! It's the unusual glow I get from finding old period parts and history of the car, which excites me the most. Here are those photographs of the original gearbox crossmember, now attached to the monocoque, I promised in an earlier posting... Andrew

Attachments

• DSC01288.jpg
    DSC01288.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC01289.jpg
    DSC01289.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 601

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You'll need a navigator to drive it, Andrew, but drive it you should. Hell, where I live everyone drives as if they can't see where they're going.

Debbie and I have just returned from the Le Mans Classic, where we were thrilled by the racing... boy, could that 427 Cobra keep up with the GT40s! However, proud to say that a Mk1 won the 1961-65 grid after some thrilling nose to tail night racing, headlights blazing down the Mulsanne! The weather ranged from hot to bursts of heavy showers, but that didn't bother me, because on the Saturday afternoon, a torrential cloudburst caught us in the pits. There I was with an original GT40 to the left of me and another to the right. Mechanics scurrying to keep their mounts dry. We stood inside the garage while the water fell. I really thought it was reminiscent of one of the old Le Mans films from the 1960s and pictured the scene in black & white, set to grainy backing music. While the racing went on, we wandered around the other attractions and found a stall selling old photographs. Buried amongst the fading images was an original picture of GT40P/1001 with either Jacky Ickx or Jochen Nerspach at the wheel.. I just had to buy it and scan it for you to see once we returned home to the UK. This story doesn't end here, however, as I got speaking to another car-lover who was staying at our Chateaux, a 16th century castle nestled in over 400 acres of wooded grounds. It wasn't only the "blue lady" ghost which sent a chill down my spine, because as I stood telling him about the reconstruction of my GT40, he informed me that he was Belgium and worked with the cousin of Jacky Ickx. This cousin keeps all records of Jacky's race history and would be thrilled to hear from me. Imagine this, getting Jacky Ickx to drive my car again at Le Mans, 50 years on from 1966 in 2016! Perhaps a dream, but this strange tale seems to be creating itself as I move on & on with the project. Andrew

Attachments

• 1001 le mans 66 gendarme.jpg
    1001 le mans 66 gendarme.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 500
HI
Newbie here.

I can supply contact details for John Reaburn, {Andy Cox's driver}
He has photos from his days steering this car.

Regards matt

Hello Matt.. this is incredible! Please forward on my email address to [email protected] as I would love to share photographs and stories. Talking to Ronnie Spain, getting an unexpected message from John S allen and now this, all in one week.. it's too much to take! I look forward, very much, to hearing from John Raeburn.. Best Wishes.... Andrew

I thought it might be time to bore you with yet more GT40 parts recently acquired and off to NZ shortly. Debbie, my wife, will certainly be glad when she gets all the spare bedrooms back, so she can dump her horsey stuff in them! In short, some of the bits you've probably seen before, but please note the period clutch master cylinder, Autolite spark plugs unopened (until now) in over 40 years, set of rare Schafer wishbone bearings and spare used twin plate clutch (off GT40P/1042 or 1045). Still to come is that 67 new/old stock windscreen, axles and period perspex. Then, as they say "that is about that".. Andrew

Attachments

• DSC_0281.JPG
    DSC_0281.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC_0282.JPG
    DSC_0282.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 459
  • DSC_0283.JPG
    DSC_0283.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC_0284.JPG
    DSC_0284.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC_0285.JPG
    DSC_0285.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 479

Hi Jim... yes those fuel cocks are as rare as rocking horse droppings. I think Andy Booth might have one for sale however- [email protected]
Thanks to John S Allen for providing me some photographs of GT40P/1001. A few, which are not subject to copyright, I have attached to this posting. Most of you will be aware John S Allen together with Gordon Jones, wrote one of the most definitive books on GT40s. I have a beautiful leather-bound example of his book. I am therefore, very honoured that authors such as John and Ronnie Spain have taken an interest in the reconstruction of my GT40. Regards.. Andrew

Attachments

• Ford - no reference -68 Ring 1.jpg
    Ford - no reference -68 Ring 1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 485
  • Ford - no reference - 1.jpg
    Ford - no reference - 1.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 583
  • Ford - no reference - 2.jpg
    Ford - no reference - 2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 513
  • Ford - no reference - 68 Spa 1.jpg
    Ford - no reference - 68 Spa 1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 526

Perhaps a brief explanation is required here, because the eagle-eyed amongst you will notice the blue shots seem to show a different car. Well, it's still GT40P/1001, as driven.. crashed.. by Charles Lucas at Brands Hatch in 1968, and proves that the car had two front & rear clips. Lee Dawson, who restored my bodywork, found no dark blue paint layer under the yellow. Also, the rear lights on the dark blue car are different to the four Lucas (coincidence) seen on my shell, so we've now concluded that the rear clip dates back to Le Mans 1966, the front dating a little later, to 1968, as no Essex Wire, nor Sid Taylor colours were found on that clip. Also, if you look at all the photos on the preceeding pages, then you'll notice the dor air scoop appears in 1967. I think this must have been a customisation made to thwart the heat encountered in South Africa during the 1966/7 Springbok series. The large engine vent also appeared about that time and was, probably, again an attempt to extract heat from the hard-working 289 motor. One mystery which remains, are the diagonal holes still apparent on the rear clip today. I think that someone must have thought a MKII spoiler was a good idea, but it didn't catch on and the spoiler was removed prior to the monochrome photographs of 1970 seen earlier. Finally, the rear arches have been medalled with, as Lee found no yellow paint under the mid blue. Look at the photos and you'll see those arches were very wide by 1968 and in the 1970 images, but not when I took delivery of the clip in 2009.s Now.. all I need to figure out is.. "who shot JFK?".. Andrew

Back