Paddock

GT40s.com is a better place without the Paddock showing on New Posts

• Yea

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • Nay

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters
Leave it where it is, if someone wants to see it they can go there, and no one will have to bitch about seeing it with the regular posts. For as many times as I've posted on the Paddock, I find it to be totally unproductive. All that is accomplished is ill feelings. Everyone is as they were, including myself, the world has not changed!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I've never thought these things (political forums on car boards) were a good idea. Two boards I visit (a Dodge Charger one and Improvedtouring.com) do not have them and they are better for it.

I'm good at not starting stuff on those types of forums, and bad and just not responding when I see something silly posted.

I think it would be better if we all just enjoyed our shared interest in cars without knowing what other folk's politics are.

Ron Earp

Admin
I think it would be better if we all just enjoyed our shared interest in cars without knowing what other folk's politics are.

This is the way it should be. I'm not too concerned about this site now as the Paddock is hidden and must be sought out to view it.

Debating politics on a car site seems counterproductive. That is to say, if political discussion or debate is your thing then there are many political forums out there with a level of debate that is going to be at a higher level (I hope!) than what is found here.

I agree in that this forum should put it's best foot forward after all it is about the car and not the content of the paddock. The paddock to me is a secondary place to throw stuff out and may not be to everybody's likes so it should be treated a such. If people want to go there fine, but they should have to turn it on to do so. People come here for the cars....not the paddock. Sort of like advertising.....it comes with the territory but I don't have to look a it. And...even if it seems like censorship ( I don't see it that way) I think Ron is bending over backwards to please everyone. It is his forum to do as he pleases. We all can't have everything the way we want.

I agree with Pete as it sums up my thoughts. I like the paddock because I gain a larger understanding of people from different countries, interest, and backgrounds. You need to have knowledge of their country to understand where they are coming from sometimes. Some of the English terms require that I need to research their politics and current events. The Aussies and Kiwis really require a current events summary of their respective countries and politicians. The wit of the comments is a treasure. Life pursuits are the same all over the globe....but still different as you get a feel for the individuals and their cars or dreams. Good stuff--minus a personal attach here and there, but I've never let anyone intimidate me.

Pat

Supporter
I think what we have now is working well. Folks that want to read in the paddock can do so, people that want the paddock to be in the "New Posts" section can do so, and the "rest of us" can continue with GT40-like discussion.

First off, thanks so much Ron for all you do and have done for this forum. Special thanks for your patience through the Paddock silliness.
Even a casual view of Paddock content reveals that there are some people who you can not please no matter what you do. So making everybody happy is pretty much impossible. So I absolutley agree with you, let those that want to read it, do so. Others can busy themselves elsewhere on the forum. What you have is working well for most so leave it that way and let's move on.

Here's a dilema. I want to start a new topic and ask if any members have experience with slot car tracks and cars of our favourite era. Where should I post something like that? I would have thought the paddock is the right place. But, if all the good guys have the paddock turned off they will not be able to see my post and offer me the level of advice I have become accustomed to receiving here at gt40s.

Mark,

As Im writing this ...The Paddock...is the most viewed Thread on this forum

Just because its not listed in the "New Posts", It hasnt stopped me looking at it, and im sure its the same for most people...

Mark , please tell us about your scalextric. The Vanwall, Triumh Tr4 and Offenhauser Indy . Oh and those generic CAn-Am cars!!

Z.C.

Ron Earp

Admin
Here's a dilema. I want to start a new topic and ask if any members have experience with slot car tracks and cars of our favourite era. Where should I post something like that? I would have thought the paddock is the right place. But, if all the good guys have the paddock turned off they will not be able to see my post and offer me the level of advice I have become accustomed to receiving here at gt40s.

A dedicated website forum can't be all things to all people. I'm sure there are Scale model car forums that can offer a higher level of detail and advice than can be found here.

A dedicated website forum can't be all things to all people. I'm sure there are Scale model car forums that can offer a higher level of detail and advice than can be found here.

Fair enough Ron, but I like to chat with people I 'know', (at least initially), before I throw myself at the mercy of strangers on a toy car website forum.

There are many top blokes on this forum that I feel like I do 'know' and who's interests are not disimilar to mine. Thanks to you for running this BB.

Cheers

Shut the paddock down and lets get back to talking 40's. That's why we are here.

If I want to dribble crap then I will go to a crap dribbling forum and do it there.

But then Baldrick is a name synonymous with good plans.

Not all that glistens is gold and then not all crap is crap. As for dribbling, I will concede that is best done elswhere.

Back