Pics of the RCR 917

RCR917 MONO/hybrid...our more affordable 917 offering....
Completely new RCR chassis design ,
The monocoque front tub offers far more protection than the original tubular chassis and we have engineered in more interior space..
The reprofiling of the sponson area allows much easier ingress and egress too....much needed in this genre of sportscars...
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/porsche-917-talk/26007-rcr-917k-build-progress.html#post235264

Last edited:
To each his own, of course.

I for myself prefer to experience the true feel of the car, not of the Schnitzels.

(BTW...wouldn´t dieting be a logical yet highly unpopular alternative?
That´s what I´m doing just for the sake of fitting into my Lola.)

Marcus

Looks great Fran. I haven't seen any of your other chassis in person yet, but from the pictures, it looks like the 917 mono has a bit more complexity to it than your other offerings. The sponsons look they have more angles to them and i can only imagine that fabrication must be that much more difficult. Though, I hope not too much performance was sacrificed (read: weight added) in making these dimensional changes. That said, it still looks like a tight fit. I hope my fat arse can fit in there when the time comes... :)

I'm also interested in seeing how the rear tubular section mounts to the mono. I can only think of the complexity of the FEA between the 2 sections!

John,

You are overthinking it...I am not that smart...

we are using Velcro to attach the two sections together....

Seriously...they are bolted together just like any good group C hybrid chassis was....and some current Le Mans style cars are.

Brian, I chose the SL-C as a fantastic looking exotic that I could put together at a reasonable cost, it affords good weather protection and A/C for Florida summers.
Although the SL-R may be built for less money, It is a completely different animal that would be a great fun car. You should assess your REAL use of the car and choose accordingly.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Brian, I chose the SL-C as a fantastic looking exotic that I could put together at a reasonable cost, it affords good weather protection and A/C for Florida summers.
Although the SL-R may be built for less money, It is a completely different animal that would be a great fun car. You should assess your REAL use of the car and choose accordingly.

Money available dictates the choice when I make it. hehe If I do the SLR, it will be a monster with 500hp. If I do the SLC it will be a monster with 1200+hp. Just have to see how many pennies I can put together to make either one happen. ;)

I love the 917, matter of fact, that's the first car I called Fran about almost 2 years ago when I started working for my friends mortgage company before the sub-prime crash. I was expecting to make a nice bit of money in that career, didn't work out that way. Ever since speaking with Fran that first time, I have been a fan. I have never found a manufacturer who answers their own phone and talks to a complete stranger / possible customer at length about anything. That kind of personal service and attention sold me right there. Now I just have to make some money to give him and all will be well. LOL

My only problem with building a 917 is there are no correct engines to put in it. Nothing that even resembles the original. Sure a twin turbo flat 6 will make all the power one would need, but there's something about the sound of the flat 12.

Anyway, that's me and not others. The car is beautiful and I'd love to see one in person finished and running!!

Laters,

Brian

Last edited:
My only problem with building a 917 is there are no correct engines to put in it. Nothing that even resembles the original. Sure a twin turbo flat 6 will make all the power one would need, but there's something about the sound of the flat 12.

Brian

I wonder if a 512tr engine could be made to fit.... but then theres the whole cooling thing... and whole money thing as well....

twin turbo flat 6 from the 993 turbo has to be the best choice for power and staying with Porsche. there is a guy that can modify it to 650+ hp and let it rev to 8500 rpm, that would be killer in a RCR 917

Brian Hamilton

Well you gould go ape shit and put a V10 from the Carrera GT back there. If money were no object of course... But I do agree that the twin turbo flat 6 is the way to go. I'm just one of those people who would like to have it KINDA accurate. LOL I was talking to Fran about the 512 replica he has a body for. We were discussing a Testerrossa flat 12 with a pair of turbo's because that's how I roll and immediately what I think of. He thought it'd be a great powertrain. Anyway, great car, great company, great choice.

Where's the first build thread? LOL

Brian Hamilton

Buy something and start your own bloody build thread.....:thumbsup:

Hahaha
Saving for it!! Now that the wedding's done I can work on it even more. I have a few nice real estate deals I'm working on now and hopefully some of these $1M + properties I have listed will sell and I'll start making decent money!! Until then I just have to hastle everyone else!! :thumbsup:

A note on engines and sounds -
I was noticing at Laguna last Friday that the flat 12 Ferrari 5L in the Boxer LMs sound very different from the V12 5L Prototypes. The Boxers sounded nice, the 5L V12s sound better - just like the engines in the movie LeMans....and the 3L V12 sounded GREAT. There were 3 312PBs (3L flat 12), although I never heard one start....too bad. I should have went back for Sat-Sun just for that :)

I have never heard a Porsche Flat 12 in person although those twin turbo flat 6's in the IMSA Porsches sound like whispering death <whoosh...and gone>

Back