Plasti Dip

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I'm very happy on how my interior pieces have turned out so far. the palstidip looks like it will hold up fine, but it's too early to tell for sure. I've never seen in person anything painted with Alsa soft touch, so I can't make a comparison.

I bought the plastidip and sprayer from http://www.dipyourcar.com

I used three coats of black, then 3 coats of 50/50 clear/glossifier with Red Rum Candy Pearl mixed in on the red parts, then a couple coats of glossifer over everything.

Just a thought Pete,
Consider a 3/16" polished aluminum round bar on the door trim part between the colors. Could be fastened from the backside easily.

Thanks for the info!

I am a bit concerned about the concept of simply peeling the coating off and what that means for durability. I will be interested to hear your thoughts as time goes by.

Dave,
Go back and re-read some of the previous postings on this thread, to see a video I did for the peeling.
P2210316_zps4a226d0f.mp4 Video by Billmusarra | Photobucket
Also take a look at Utube and you will find hundreds of videos and I am sure you can find several that will address any question you might have. There are several threads on our GT-40s site that should help you out. And lastly there is a comunity forum for Plastidip that address the questions of the guys doing this every day. DipYourCar.com Plasti Dip Community Forum

Hope this helps you get started.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
All this from a product that came out 40 years ago and was poor to mediocre - at best - when used on pliers and screw driver handles as it was designed for...

I'm pretty impressed by what I am seeing now....

Many reports of using it from the "tuners" around here say it wears easily on rigid door panels. Can not address thier prep though.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
It does seem rather fragile with just the matte black. A topcoat of glossifier seems to toughen it up a lot and makes cleaning much easier also.

Back