Porsche GT1 monocoque

Hi Nick, I just sent you a message and an email - Your work looks fantastic...

This is my project:

LocostBuilders

Thierry, you might be interesred - Derek may have mentioned you to me.

Dom

Really nice job Nick.
But Im pretty shure this is a replica, built from various original GT1 parts and a nose from a Porsche 993 2S 1996.
I know the parts. This ws for sale a couple of yers ago in Europe.

ok here's a few more, the car is no 104 it was flipped in the US during a race it happend to a few of them end over end, the tub was a wreck so there was no option but to build another one, also a couple of a nissan NTPI 90 that I replaced the side in aftr a crash at spa

I am writing to correct a couple of comments made regarding the 993 Porsche GT1 chassis 104, a car with which I have been involved since I organised its purchase for the original (and still current) owner new from Porsche in 1996. That particular chassis has never had a major crash, nor has it had a new tub.

The car pictured being restored in some of Nick Dames' photos is not chassis 104 - these pictures were certainly taken in Phil Stott's UK workshops in the late '90s (where Nick worked at the time) and (my guess) are most probably of GT1 chassis 101 (the well-known 'Blue Coral' car as raced in the British GT championship by John Greasley's G-Force concern and - as far as I know - still with Mr G. I believe he ran it last year at one of the GT 90's events). I have spoken with Phil and he confirms that chassis 104 has not been in his workshop.

I am not sure how the pictured car got crashed. But I am sure it didn't flip. As far as I know, the only GT1's to ever 'flip' were the later (1998) all-carbon tubbed factory models - 2 of which flipped in the USA (YouTube covers these pretty well, of course), but neither of which were the 1996 993 GT1 chassis 104.

Chassis 104 raced with Kremer in the FIA GT's and LM 24 Hrs throughout 1997, in white livery except Suzuka where it was in yellow 'From A' colours. Then 104 had its finest hour at Daytona 24 Hrs in 1998 (with Larbre Competition - finishing 3rd overall) before racing in 1998 with G-Force in British GT's - painted yellow and black and now racing as their 'Pennzoil' car' - its sister team car was the 'Blue Coral' chassis 101. Perhaps this is why Nick thought of chassis 104 in his post.

In 1999 chassis 104 was raced for a final time (red livery now - all done with lots of sheets of vinyl) by Team Dynamics and 6'5" Matt Neal (surely the tallest person to have ever raced a GT1!) along with the late, great David Leslie at the British GT race supporting that year's F1 GP at Silverstone. Matt somehow squeezed himself in and started the race; David yanked him out by his epaulets at the pit exchange (it never would have worked the other way), took over and they finished a strong 2nd.

Chassis 104 is still with the original owner in Sweden and has been maintained in 100% condition - having performed at just a few customer days over the past few years.

John & Stuart is right, Its not a factory car. I know both 101 & 104...
You can follow another GT-1 project on facebook, search for "Porsche GT-1 96, Gt-eins.com, The only great Porsche GT-1 replica"

It looks great

Great work.

My Cousin used to race one of these back in the day. Gealousy is a bad trait, however I cannot help but feel just a little gealous!

Attachments

• Geoff Donnington 99.jpg
    Geoff Donnington 99.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 490
Hi Nick. You said that you can build a complete car, will that be only the '96 and '97 models with the factory metal chassis or the '98 model as well. I won't hold you to it but can you give me an approximate ballpark price what a roller would cost?

Back