Project under wraps -- W125

Zollis, a little bit of chassis info:
Uhlenhaut carried on and turned the W125 in a 750 kg racer instead of the 850 kg racer it was intended to be. Even though the car was prospected to have a 3.5 litre engine, the engineers managed to fit a 5.6 litre straight eight in the chassis, which was longer and heavier than the one used in the W25. Sporting double overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and a Roots-Type Supercharger this all steel unit produced a staggering 646 bhp. The engine alone weighed over 220 kg, leaving little over 500 kg for the chassis, suspension, brakes and body.

Uhlenhaut realised that the massive amount of power was absolutely useless if it could not be put on the road properly. Traditionally the tubular frames of Grand Prix cars flexed considerably, but by using nickel-chrome molybdenum oval tubes, Uhlenhaut created a very stiff frame. This gave him much greater control over the suspension and effectively the racer's handling characteristics. Like the W25, the W125 used double wishbone / coil spring front suspension, but with much longer wishbones. This allowed for much more travel and softer suspension required because of the stiffer frame. For the rear suspension an old, but rarely tried system was dusted off; the DeDion axle designed in the late 19th century. It replaced the swing axles, which caused massive problems with oversteer and wheelspin as under pressure the rear wheels would not be parallel. To keep the wheels parallel they were connected by an articulated tube fitted behind the final drive unit. Equipped with a ball in the centre that fitted into a slot in the final drive unit, the axle could move up and down freely, but not sideways. Thanks to an oscillating joint in the middle of the axle, the wheels could move up and down separately. The wheels were kept in place by radius arms. The DeDion setup combined the benefits of a live axle with a much lower unsprung weight and the additional freedom of movement of the swing axles.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
They ran on methanol and benzene or some horrible mixture like that. Legend has it that you could barely breathe around them. MB Grand Prix cars of the thirties were something else- they had a lot of great engineering talent, a lot of money, and maybe the greatest race team manager that ever lived.

If you haven't read Neubauer's biography, and you like stories about thirties' racing, do so now. It's available in an English translation. I think it's called "Speed Was My Life" or something like that.

I found a couple of pictures of the body work off. It looks like it was a much more sophisticated chassis than I would have supposed. I can't upload the pix (copywrited?) but if you google mercedes w125 they should be there. It looks like there were two main oval tubes & a lot of smaller tubes in a space frame layout. As Jack noted it had a Di Deon rear.

That thing is crazy. Somebody spent one hell of a lot of money to build it. Says the grill is machined from a 650lb block? But the stitching looks like the stitches are too far apart for Bercedes quallity IMHO.

hi Zollis, maybe I can help I see you are in NZ, a mate of mine built this rare Avis ducks back from parts, all he had was a rolling chassis with engine gearbox the same as you have, he had the body guards etc built locally by a couple of talented old guys in Kumeu in west Auckland I think they were in Taupaki road about 300m up from state highway 16 from memory cost was close to 10k but it was perfect, and only built from pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_6278small.JPG
    IMG_6278small.JPG
    597.6 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_6292smaller.JPG
    IMG_6292smaller.JPG
    716.1 KB · Views: 236
A short up date but first I'll try to answer all the questions.

Mike S. --the front suspension is Holden +_ 1967.

I am using reliable drawings to create the body shape, absolutely no digital stuff here. Manual drafting board and then manual hole, band and jig saws to do the wood work on the buck. After studying the scale model I have, I realized it is not even close to accurate . So Jack I decided I am not going to use any scale model what so ever.

Graeme S.-- Thank you for the suggestion but I want to do the aluminum body work myself.

Started on building the body buck. Reasoned to start in the middle with the scuttle first and then work forwards and aft .

Z.C.

Attachments

• buck started 1.jpg
    buck started 1.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 299
Thank you Pete I enjoyed it.

A few more progress pics of the buck. Plenty of dust and off-cuts were generated with this method. For me it is quite satisfying to stand back at the end of day , have a look and see something I just created.

Z.C.

Attachments

• central member 10.JPG
    central member 10.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 207
  • hole saw jig saw 10.JPG
    hole saw jig saw 10.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 223
  • ribs 10.JPG
    ribs 10.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Tail buck 10.JPG
    Tail buck 10.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Great work so far.

Stupid question of the day:

The engine, transmission, and driver are all inline in a pretty tight package. Where does the shifter for the transmission go?

Hi Justin, that is a GOOD question without an answer. As for now, the body shape is the overriding priority. All the " little" things eg. alternator, battery, shifter etc. will find a space where to be placed later on.

Tim , thanks perhaps later.

I agree with you Jim, those leaf springs have to go. The further this project advances the more I feel to get it nearer to " look-a-like". So please have a look and see what I got for diff control arms.

Z.C.

Attachments

• Diff link 10.jpg
    Diff link 10.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 264
After a few hours behind the drafting board I had full scale templates that were transferred on to the wood. These were cut out and then glued and screwed to form the 3D nose buck. I wanted to show the progress although the nose buck is not completely finished yet.

PuW nose buck progress.jpg

Z.C.

Looks real good, you can see the shape of the body starting to come to life in the buck now, how long until alloy starts to grow on it?, Question about the rear suspension, how are the original cars set up ? are they an independent or live axle or did I read somewhere that they were a "Di Deon" set up, if so, the P6 Rover used a Di Deon rear end and I'm sure you could find one of them in a wrecking yard for very little money and you get inboard disc's and a diff that will handle SBC power as well. just a thought.
Cheers Leon

Last edited:
Back