Project under wraps -- W125

Leon that P6 suggestion of yours got me thinking. Will look into it.

Molleur thanks for your encouragement. I appreciate it.

John S. No, I have a few reliable drawings but some of the detail is not there. I am also looking at original pics from 1937 to get the proportions correct.

Z.C.

Last edited:
Z.C.
Before I purchased the SL-C, I was scratch building a replica
1948 Maserati A6G "Monofaro". After a few months of searching, I discovered a few
scaleable photos. The 1/48 model was way off. Drawing board time, then into modeling on the computer. Once everything was faired properly I put it all on disc and plotted full-sized cross-sections every 18 inches. This was transferred to plywood and a building table was constructed and the forms erected such as you have done. Suspension was to be MGB on a round tube frame I had resolved.

Body was contracted out to a panel beater (to be constructed in alloy) 80 miles away. I even built the table with caster wheels on the legs at a specific height that this guy could work with. Delivered the body buck to him as well as $$$ for the materials. A couple of days later I was off to China for a few months. Upon my return, I call to check progress and found his telephone was disconnected.

Made the drive to see, and his shop was closed up. Seems he had gone to hospital
for some minor surgery and never made it out. Frantically searching for the body buck, I learned from his son that yes, he had passed away in the hospital and my body buck had seen his wife's fireplace. Oh, well.

I simply love to see people with the dedication and drive to do a scratch build. Following yours intently. Great work so far!

]Molleur your story is hart breaking, to think all that work turned into heat, fireplace heat.

Any how, after many hours of work or rather after being busy for quite a while I can show only what seems a little bit of progress.
progress 20.jpg

Z.C.

To be able for the body work to look more authentic at the rear halve , I cut off the existing leaf springs. Now installing torsion bars at the rear similar to the original.

Tortion bar conversion.jpg

For the brackets mounting the torsion bars and Panhard rod I had a few parts lazer cut.

What a disappointment when I received them and more than 50% of the parts were out of spec. So I thought :"before I pay for them, the company will just have to do them again".

Lazer scrap.gif

A few years ago I saw this sign: " How can a business make a profit if it does the job TWICE and get paid only ONCE ??''

Z.C.

Z.C.
That body buck looks fantastic! I know the work that goes into that.
Sorry about the suspension brackets, it appears the holes were drilled before the items were bent. Soldier on my friend.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Z.C.
Before I purchased the SL-C, I was scratch building a replica
1948 Maserati A6G "Monofaro". After a few months of searching, I discovered a few
scaleable photos. The 1/48 model was way off. Drawing board time, then into modeling on the computer. Once everything was faired properly I put it all on disc and plotted full-sized cross-sections every 18 inches. This was transferred to plywood and a building table was constructed and the forms erected such as you have done. Suspension was to be MGB on a round tube frame I had resolved.

Body was contracted out to a panel beater (to be constructed in alloy) 80 miles away. I even built the table with caster wheels on the legs at a specific height that this guy could work with. Delivered the body buck to him as well as $$$ for the materials. A couple of days later I was off to China for a few months. Upon my return, I call to check progress and found his telephone was disconnected.

Made the drive to see, and his shop was closed up. Seems he had gone to hospital
for some minor surgery and never made it out. Frantically searching for the body buck, I learned from his son that yes, he had passed away in the hospital and my body buck had seen his wife's fireplace. Oh, well.

I simply love to see people with the dedication and drive to do a scratch build. Following yours intently. Great work so far!

What a story Jack. I never knew you'd been so involved in a scratchbuild. Sorry to hear about that. Going back to the string, glad to see this is continuing forward.

Jack well spotted, the critical holes that got reamed later on were only small pilot drilled before bending.

Terry, thank you for the kind words.

I have a rolling chassis again, however the wooden buck needs a bit of attention now, since the new steel brackets are in the way.

The eagle-eyed would spot the number 8 wire rod ends.

Puw 29-12-1.gif

Puw 29-12-2.gif

Z.C.

Last edited:

Keith

Wow Jack, I never knew. That's tragic for everyone and I suppose it couldn't be helped...

Happy New years to all.
puw 4-1-12.jpg

Mr. Bahco Saw came over for a visit to Miss. Wooden Buck. He gave her some of his attention and consequently left her with a gaping hole.

puw 4-1-13.jpg

Now she fits correctly once again.

puw 4-1-14.jpg

Z.C.

Molleur , thank you for the encouragement.

Now that the leaf springs are out of the way I am trying to get a more accurate look of the wings at the rear. The right hand buck is taking shape , though not glued yet.
3 No glue yet.jpg

Z.C.

I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with the wood work skills you are showing and we already know you have the alloy fab skills so can't wait for the alloy part to start taking shape. Keep it coming.

Cheers Leon.

Hi guys , thank you for showing support with this project.

The tail buck took a lot of time, glue and patience. Those holes in the stations gives easy access to the clamps and line of sight.

Tail buck glued 10.jpg

The grey steel ( red arrows) is temporarily to align the left with the right hand.

Started with the side pod.

Start side pod 10.jpg

The batten gives a reference line for a smooth curve.

Z.C.

Clamps, I never seem to have enough of them, long screws and PVA are my thing.
Do you have some kind of profile cutter or are you doing this all with a Band/Jig saw. your cutting seems to be exceptionaly precise. Keep up the posts, love this project.

Cheers Leon

Back