PW Tornado Build pics

I'm just using aluminium sealed rivets 4.0 x 9,5 standard round heads and the sheets are 18 swg polished one side aluminium - with a protective blue film on them.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Paul, I am not sure if your Tornado would be the same as my GTD but the GTD looks similar as far as the steering rack mounting is concerned. In my case shiming the rack upwards 7/16" improves bump steer quite a bit. As you can see this is easly done at your stage of the build. You will have to do your own research for yor car type but if a simple shimming is required now would be the time seeing that the mounting brackets for the steering rack are now fully exposed.

You can get a very good write up on bump steer in several books including Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams, Tune to win by Carrol Smith, and Competition Car Suspension by Allan Staniforth.

Thanks Howard - I was going to get Tune to win as I am about 1/3 of the way through engineer to win by smith and I'm amazed at the detail.
On the tornado the bottom front bulkhead behind the radiator has a huge acces panel - nearly as big as the panel itself so it's quite accessable after being built but you are right ]- it's easier to sort now.
Another couple of pics : -

Attachments

• 35472-Bulk-N-S_arch.jpg
    35472-Bulk-N-S_arch.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,333
Paul-

Your build is making great progress. The pictures have helped me to understand better how everything fits together.

I noticed the pictures of the rear bulkhead. The first picture showa it just laying there and the next shows it cut and fitted. When do you layout and cut the window?

How difficult is it to bend up the edges of the aluminum in the front area?

Thanks
Bill D

You have to get the rear window in order to mark around it (1/4" larger to allow for the rubber seal)
Bending the metal I found fairly easy with a small folder (£30 in the uk) and some angle iron clamped in a vice. (wood will also do)
The angle iron is best as you have to do folds in various directions on the same piece.

Paul-

Great pictures. I have one request. Can you take a picture showing the inside (from the driver's view) of the last picture you posted?

Thanks
Bill D

Try this - I'm not sure of what covers the wheel arch inside before you carpet it.

Attachments

• 36206-TornInside.jpg
    36206-TornInside.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,353
Paul-

Do you plan on paneling the inside to make for a smooth surface for the carpet? Hershal did, and his looked great from the photos he sent me.

Bill

I will cover the inside to get a smooth surface for carpetting ,after I've got some sound deadening in there - also I wan't to fit audio speakers and this is an ideal place.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Paul, love the blue springs or is that strings? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, it is looking fantastic.Keep the pics coming.

Back