question for the GT/GT40 corner

I love the iconic GT40 however, are there any kits that are made to resemble the newr Ford GT? All I see are the 60's styling. The Origional 40's are great but I like the modern refined body style and newer interior. Oh, and one more thing. The Ford GT chasis looks amazing and extremely adjustable. How do the kits measure up to it? Thanks guys,
Henry

I have not seen any late model Ford GT kits, yet. IMO and many others here on this site, the "kit" GT40's currently avalible are "better" than the originals due to many factors. They got it right after fiddeling around for a few years back then with current technoligy and trial by error, sweat and blood. Now 40 some years later the advancements in materials and technoligy have brought it all into the new melidium, even with keeping the originality in most cases.

I've not seen any GT replicas yet either.

There are so many different gt40 replicas out there, there is one for every ones taste, from steel space frame to full carbon fibre, original in every way to only looking like one.

I am confused why there are no new age GT's out there. Makes me wonder if the interior from a new GT would fit. I have seen a few being parted out due to being totaled

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I am confused why there are no new age GT's out there. Makes me wonder if the interior from a new GT would fit. I have seen a few being parted out due to being totaled

No, the new GT interior will not fit a dimensionally correct GT40. I suspect Ford would be rather protective of the "trade dress" of the 05/06 GT at this point. Would someone really want to go head-to-head with Ford's lawyers?

Hi Henry I do not think very much from the new GT will go into the original GT40 due to the difference in size of the two cars. when I built my car I wanted to build a moden looking Gt40 both on the outside and in. My car may not be somthing that the purist would do but it is just what i wanted. It is quite to drive in and looks like a curent car, I have had it parked next to new porsches and ferraris and it does not look like an old designe or home made.
This is a link to my car.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/drb-gt40s/27217-drb-46-now-road.html

Darrell DRB G50 LS1

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Have you priced those GTs being parted out? If you want a modern looking GT then buy a GT. They will hold their value much better than any kit.

Last edited:
Have you priced those GTs being parted out? If you want a modern looking GT then buy a GT. They will hold their value much better than any kit.

I watched one go for $53K a year ago at auction. Assuming that you could use the 5.4 and ricardo out of it and find a way to use some interior componants it would be worth it after parting out the rest. A modern GT will run you $150,000 and I am not going to pay that much for a car. Since I have always been one for restmods I dont buy for resale value or period correct. Thanks for the responses guys. I am actualy on here for the SLC threads because thats what I will be getting first. The GT40/Ford GT has always been my favorite car so I may build one later on. I have always been curiouse since the newer GT came out about the kits so once again, thanks for the responses.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Which auction? It had to be pretty rough. Wrecked GTs seem to be commanding a pretty high price as of lately. There are several rebuilders out there who are on top of this market so you need to know what you are doing to not get hurt. It's a very small market so everyone has a pretty good handle on what cars are out there and the stories behind them. Good luck with your endeavor.

Seems the way of a lot of written off cars (and bikes) now.

Once you could buy a crashed car/bike for peanuts, get the bits and fix it yourself ending up with a decent car/bike for a fraction of the price of a similar un-crashed version. Now a lot of the cars are on sale for the parts price under the price of an un-crashed version and in some cases even more!

As an example about 8 years ago I had my bike cosmetically written off, insurance co valued it at 3k with a salvage price of 10%, ie 300. I kept it and ended up with a decent track bike.

Last year a friend had her bike written off, insurance co valued it at 2.5k with a salvage price of 1k!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Wow a Ford GT at an impound auction that's interesting. Can I ask when and where that was? I recently sold my GT and still know several people in that scene. There would be an interesting story behind that.

Back