R&p For 016

Another option is to import U-code boxes from Europe, which have good ratios
as is. You could add a Phantom grip for $ 300 (see Neal's posts), and be set.

The problem is no one in UK/Europe it seems is interested in actually locating/boxing/shipping any of these to the US.
A few have offered...but sad to say never came through.

I have no doubt DOZENS of these could easily be consumed in the US
if they were made readily available at a reasonable price.
(I can't believe they are much more expensive than used US boxes).
I got tired of waiting and simply purchased the RF 5th gearset.

MikeD

Mike,

AFAIK, the 3U box only has a taller 2nd thru 5th gear ratios, with the R&P ratio remaining the same (3.89:1). The 016 suffers from a low ratio 1st (3.60:1), relegating it nearly useless (It's worse in the 5N). Still, the 3U is a better option.

Euro recyclers tend not to separate gearboxes from motors, so they are not as plentiful as one might imagine (at least in my experience).

Andy

Cliff one thing also is many of us are already set up for a 016 box. Adapter, starter, clutch ,CVs and half shafts . A bunch of money would be spent just getting all this to mate your G50 plus modify the frame to accept it.

Andy

You are correct...but a lot of 016 users are/were just looking to get
something we could comfortably drive on the highway...not necessarily
in need of all new ratios (although that would be nice). Spending
$ 300 on the tranny and then spending another $ 3000 just to get a
decent highway gear wasn't in the cards for me. The RF gears cost
me $ 600 and I can put them in myself. I have no idea whether the
"new" RF will continue to offer the 5th gear set.

MikeD

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks all - great information on this thread here (for 016 users and others as well).

Yup, obviously, no easy nor inexpensive solution here. I do think the 016 box is a good solid box. And, with the right ratios and reasonable (translation: no full throttle dump clutches) it can work fine with the SBF below 350hp.

I would agree that the G50 solution is neither cheap nor easy. However, I would trust a used (not rebuilt) G50 to handle sub 350hp as good, and probably better, than a newly rebuilt 016. Said another way, if the G50 box has been used reasonably (modest miles, for example) then it shouldn't need a full rebuild before going in the car.

G50s are fairly plentiful in Seattle here - there are many available for $3,000 - $3,500.

On the topic of ratios, the AFC 016 has pretty good ratios - much better than the 5N. I have both a 5N and an AFC. Has anybody used an AFC before? Thanks in advance.

There is a possibility of modifing an existing R & P that is a 3:44. It came on the Porsche early 924 (76-77) 4 spd. transaxle. The diff is the same along with the bearings. However, the pinion is short the last 1" or so where 5th geat would normally be. Now the Volkswagon Beetle and Bus has kits to convert them to 5 spds. They do this by adding a piece to the pinion and mainshaft. I wonder if this could be done here. Since this part would only be used in 5th gear where there wouldn't be the impact as you would see in 1st, maybe this could be done. The p/n is 088.409.143 T It is 9:31 or 3.44:1 and would be in transaxles marked YR. These usually can be had very cheap because everyone wants a 5 spd.

Back