Racing transaxle gearshift

This might seem an odd question, but I'm an odd person :)

How does the gearshift feel on a racing transaxle ? is the lever spring biased in one plane like a road car ?

How about gated shifters ? are they any different ?

I can't believe none of you guys have driven something with a Hewland or similar box ?

C'mon, help me out here ;)

I have driven 1 Hewland (mk8) and worked on 2(FG and DGB). The only "bias" I felt was the Rev/1st spring loaded detent. If the linkage/levers are set up correctly,shifting is a dream. I have seen people add external springs to bias the linkage to the right side of the gates.

On the smaller cars (1600cc and 2000cc) with Mk9, LD200, Staffs, etc... the nuetral position has no "detent" to speak of, only a spring keeping it from going to reverse - and it's a pretty stiff spring for obvious reasons. There are no other springs or anything to help locate the two gates (1 & 2, 3 & 4) Also, since they are quick change gearboxes that are easy to get to, it's not too difficult to try various grinds on the notches of the shift rods to change the feel of the gear detents (obviously each gear position has a spring detent - the forward / back motion of the shifting.) People also like to modify the edges of the dogs on the gears / dog rings to change the shifting feel. Obviously, care is required in these modifications so it stays in gear.

Back