Radial Radical

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Came across this radial engined beast on another forum. the write up is as follows.

Check out this Italian creation as only Italians could have created this concept (OK maybe the French) for a Grand Prix entry.

Built by Augusto Monaco and Carlo Felice Trossi, the 1935 Monaco Trossi is a front engined beast designed to race in Grand Prix, but due to terrifying driving dynamics never did. The engine is a twin row, 16-cylinder radial air-cooled 2-cycle, 3982cc engine with two Zoller superchargers. The engine had paired cylinders leading to a common combustion chamber, being fired by a single sparkplug.
The whole shebang was good for 250 HP at 6000 rpm and powered the front wheels.

The chassis was an aircraft style spaceframe and all wheels where suspended by way of double wishbones, horizontal coil springs, and cockpit adjustable oil dampers. With the car complete, it was tested at Monza ahead of its entry in the Italian Grand Prix, but the 75/25 weight distribution meant the car understeered magnificently, so it never raced. The car currently resides the Museo dell'Automobile in Turin.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Monaco-Trossi1935%20-%20compressed.jpg
    Monaco-Trossi1935%20-%20compressed.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 213
  • f116.jpg
    f116.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 223

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very cool car....

A little voice in my head keeps telling me "She needs a prop..."....

Hanging my head in shame now....

Back