RCR At Road America For Historics??

GTPVette

Supporter
Fran,,,
Any chance you'll be at Road America in July for the historics showing your hot rods off? Seeing as it Lola T70 weekend I was hoping you might be there as I'd sure like to see one up close.

Thanks
Fred

Fred.

I would like to say yes...but as its 7 months away anything can happen.
I have talked with Johan about bringing an RCRT70 out to play....

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Being new to the GT40 community I have seen photos of what appeared to be nothing but GT40s on that track at a meet. Is this the event where many GT40s show up and get to take some laps?

GTPVette

Supporter
Fred.

I would like to say yes...but as its 7 months away anything can happen.
I have talked with Johan about bringing an RCRT70 out to play....

Thanks Fran,,, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'd sure like to seee a coupe or of course an SLC. Ron,,, thanks for the offer but I'm afriad I need something with a roof.

Thanks
Fred

I am helping to sort out the T70 race at Road America. It is very complicated because it is hard to get a level playing field due to the fact that the cars have been developed over the years to different degrees of performance. Also complicating tire rules is the fact that it is also a Can Am reunion weekend and many of the T70s will be racing in that race as well which has different tire rules than the T70 race.
There are three main differentiators to class the cars.
Original car or not original car.
Proper engine size (5 liter for coupes) or bigger or modern (18 degree heads).
Period correct treaded tires or incorrect (but Can Am race legal) slicks.

To make a long story short, it is just too difficult to get a level playing field and at the same time not discourage people from bringing their car to a one race feature.

I don't care what people run so long as it looks like a T70 from a spectator's viewpoint and the driver has the proper credentials and mindset.

I am not even sure what my configuration is going to be. I do know that it is going to be a fun event however, and yes Fran, and Ron, etc. are invited to participate providing they follow the general rules which are no different than normal. Driver must meet certain requirements and car must be built to a certain level of safety and raceworthiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shelby American Convention is at Watkins Glen this year in June. I have to believe that there would be a lot of GT40s at that event !!

Back