RCR Ferrari P-4 has entered the building

As we wait to get the chassis back from another shop I thought it would be good time to polish some aluminum.. :shocked:

This is the best of both worlds, you get the ease of working with fiberglass but the beauty of polished aluminum...

Fran again I would like to complement you on the quality of fiberglass used on your RCR product.. Prepping the underside was much easier than some of the other fiberglass bodies we have had to work with..

MVC-072S.JPG

MVC-071S.JPG

MVC-069S.JPG

Last edited:
Larry this owner of the P-4 had us prep,aluminum plated and polish the doors, rear section and cockpit area.. We had to fabricated some panels for the cockpit and with that the total was around 3600

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

That looks fabulous, tell us about the process that bonds the aluminum?

Additionally, I want to know about that large P-38, did you built it? Have you flown it?

Jim That's my old 1/7 scale P-38 that I sold a few years ago and its here for a few repairs and a fresh polish. I attached some photos of my Nick Ziroli design 1/5 scale P-38 that sits in my office. It wasn't even finished when it was the magazine did an articular on it. My son in law has somewhere around 600 hours into it so far and I stopped counting my hours a long time ago and still not finished.. We did all the fabrication and yes it balsa wood with a very thin layer of fiberglass. Once we had the glass nice and smooth I aluminum plated it. Its has details like working Fowler flaps, retractable gear, brakes 3000 screw and yes a moving pilot. I hope to see it fly sometime next year..

A quick overview of our plating process:
We Prep the surface to be plated making sure the porosity of the subsurfaces are all the same before plating.
We heat metal up to a liquid state, we add a carrier product at the same time the metal is atomize over the surface with our custom made digital equipment.
The surface is then flash cooled to prevent any damage to the subsurface..

Once plate our metal takes on all the characteristics of its solid counterpart. We can polish it out or add some effects with steel wool or scotch bite. It will oxidize if not maintained and some customer want that. We can eve speed up the aging process with patina solutions.

I attached a photos of my morphed Lightning
p-384.JPG

Last edited:
I thought those aluminum panels were hand-shaped to fit in there. The process you described makes more sense though.

Here's a close up of the detail work we did to the aluminum for the photo shoot. Its been polished back to a shine since and we will age the skin to replicate the full scale Lightning Im modeling after we get a few flights on her.

p38.JPG

Man that P-38 is absolutely amazing. I have ben an RC pilot for years and have always loved the P-38. Is there more info on your build of that model available anywhere?

Thanks for the link!!

In all likelyhood, Building a scale P-40 is one of my more realistic dreams

Slightly more realistic than building a GT40 ;)

That process is absolutely one of the coolest things I have seen anyone do in a long time. I did not even know that it was possible to do something like that.

Very cool.

Erik

Back