RCR40 cooling system tube insulation

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I am curious as to what the best known method is to insulate the tubes that run through the spine. Seems to be a wide variety of solutions. Hoping one or two stand out above the others. Also, are the tubes provided by RCR stainless or otherwise protected from corrosion?

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
I used Thermo-Tec Thermo-Shield Tape #13995 from Summit. Probably other sources for it as well. 2" X 50' adhesive backed roll. I wrapped it around each tube like you would tape a hockey stick. I think the tubes are stainless but someone else would have to verify that. Rod

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I am thinking that the tube that carries hot coolant from the engine to the radiator needs to keep that heat in so as not heat up everything thing else. Therefore, looking at steam pipe insulation. For everything thing else, the goal is to keep them cool, so looking for radiant deflection type properties (and insulation in the case of the AC cold side). For those pipes I am looking at foil/fiberglass sleeves. Also concerned with condensation and the associated corrosion.

Ron McCall

Supporter
This stuff ( available from McMaster Carr) works extremely well. I slide it over the tube and add some heat shrink over each end.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240415_213537_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_213537_Chrome.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 50

Randy Folsom

Supporter
This stuff ( available from McMaster Carr) works extremely well. I slide it over the tube and add some heat shrink over each end.
Thank you. I had seen that on the forum but couldn’t find it again. I think you mentioned that you slid the insulation in first, then slid the tube into the insulation. This should work really well on the hot water return.

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
Randy, at the suggestion of others on this forum, instead of wrapping them in insulation I had my RCR supplied tubes ceramic coated by Jet-Hot. I wanted to save as much space in the spine as possible and the specs of the heat reduction of ceramic coating were greater than the reduction realized with the insulation. My build is not yet to the point where I’m ready to run the engine so I can’t tell you yet if this method was successful. But I can tell you that having pushing everything needed through that narrow area inside the spine made me glad I saved some space!

Chet

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy, at the suggestion of others on this forum, instead of wrapping them in insulation I had my RCR supplied tubes ceramic coated by Jet-Hot. I wanted to save as much space in the spine as possible and the specs of the heat reduction of ceramic coating were greater than the reduction realized with the insulation. My build is not yet to the point where I’m ready to run the engine so I can’t tell you yet if this method was successful. But I can tell you that having pushing everything needed through that narrow area inside the spine made me glad I saved some space!

Chet
Chet, I am looking at using ceramic coating as well for both heat and corrosion resistance. But I am not overly confident that ceramic coating by itself will do the job. I watched an episode of Engine Masters where they compared the heat differential between wrapped and ceramic coated headers. The ceramic did better than no protection, but not by much. The wrap did significantly better. I don’t know if they were coated on both the inside and out like the way Jet Coat describes their process. Also, lots of anecdotal evidence from the Cobra community that ceramic coating of side pipes doesn’t prevent snake bite burns. Cheers, Randy

Randy, I am not an expert, but I agree to your statement keeping the heat in the hot colant tubes is the better solution. That's why I insulated the tubes with Softfoam insulation in my new build. Cheap and practicable. See pics.
But physics says, even a good thermal resistor (softfoam insulation) will allow heat to pass after a (longer) period of time. Now to keep wires and break tubes cold I allow some airstream to pass through the inner hollow between passenger sheet and fuel tanks, exiting through the firewall.

Attachments

• IMG_1499[1].JPG
    IMG_1499[1].JPG
    620.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1507[1].JPG
    IMG_1507[1].JPG
    666.2 KB · Views: 41

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy, I am not an expert, but I agree to your statement keeping the heat in the hot colant tubes is the better solution. That's why I insulated the tubes with Softfoam insulation in my new build. Cheap and practicable. See pics.
But physics says, even a good thermal resistor (softfoam insulation) will allow heat to pass after a (longer) period of time. Now to keep wires and break tubes cold I allow some airstream to pass through the inner hollow between passenger sheet and fuel tanks, exiting through the firewall.
Tom, Thx for confirming. I had not thought about adding some sort of air circulation. Granted, there is not a lot of space available, but I think some forced air venting might be possible via air routed to the front of the spine via one of the NACA ducts or from one of the front brake cooling ducts. Also, I might consider a series of 3/8” or 1/2” holes drilled through the floor into the spine area. I think drilling at an angle would prevent water from entering while still allowing hot air to escape. That would also help with condensation and associated corrosion. Have to be mindful of the potential for whistling. Cheers, Randy

Back