RCR40 Fuel Cell Foam

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Hoping for some guidance regarding fuel cell foam in RCR40 fuel tanks. Is it needed for street and occasional track day events? If so, is there a preferred brand or type? Thx in advance.

I know members that have used these guys to make replacement fuel cells for replicas. Would be curious to know their position is (as you asked) on metal can fuel tanks like in the 40. Not sure how you would get foam Into a completed tank unless they are being made with an access panel.

What is the design of the RCR tank? Just a metal can?

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I know members that have used these guys to make replacement fuel cells for replicas. Would be curious to know their position is (as you asked) on metal can fuel tanks like in the 40. Not sure how you would get foam Into a completed tank unless they are being made with an access panel.

What is the design of the RCR tank? Just a metal can?

The tanks are basically long aluminum boxes that slide into the side sponsons. In the originals, and early RCRs, the sponsons were the tanks. The foam is cut into pieces and stuffed into the tank via the sender holes. Float type senders are not used. Have to use induction senders.

Hi: ATL, Fuel Safe, etc. will make for you racing bladders to your dimensions (e.g. to the same shape as your tanks) to FIA, SCCA ... standard.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy, I don’t know if RCR tanks have baffles. I was thinking they do not based on comments Chuck’s comments where he mentioned Fran recommended foam. But RCR might have subsequently added baffling. I will check. But if there no baffling, then Wiffle balls are certainly less expensive than foam and probably less likely to clog filters with slothed off pieces. I am going to get some golf ball size and put them in a jar of gasoline to make they hold up.
Cheers, Randy

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Randy

i would think you need something. Ok mine was a DAX but same long tank arrangement. They were filled with explosafe which is like wire wool but this did not restrict flow.

I had fuel injection so ran a facit red top to fill the swirl.

When pumping fuel it ticked away quite happily……sometimes really fast when a lot of fuel was being consumed

When it sucked in air from the rear fuel pickup the pump really hammered hard and the sound was easily audible over the engine noise.

Driving in the U.K. there are a lot of roundabouts, so you brake coming into them and the fuel sloshes forward in the tank. From around half a tank down the fuel pump would hammer under braking for the roundabouts. So the amount of slosh is a problem . On the occasional track time i did the braking a lot harder than on the road the pump hammered at about 2/3 tank down.

I would say if you are at the stage to add foam then do so.

Ian

I think I have the same problem as Ian. I have the SGT tanks, and I have the feeling that they are not baffled, since after 1/2 a tank of fuel, when braking, the fuel pump stops (I have EFI). I know that many of you have installed a surge tank, but I wanted to know if filling the tank with foam or balls (the ones that Randy indicates) will eliminate that problem or reduce it a lot and save me the installation of a surge tank system (which I also have little space since I use a coyote).

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I think I have the same problem as Ian. I have the SGT tanks, and I have the feeling that they are not baffled, since after 1/2 a tank of fuel, when braking, the fuel pump stops (I have EFI). I know that many of you have installed a surge tank, but I wanted to know if filling the tank with foam or balls (the ones that Randy indicates) will eliminate that problem or reduce it a lot and save me the installation of a surge tank system (which I also have little space since I use a coyote).
Karel, I think a surge tank might still be needed even with anti slosh foam or balls.
I am thinking to use this compact one:

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Hi Randy

i would think you need something. Ok mine was a DAX but same long tank arrangement. They were filled with explosafe which is like wire wool but this did not restrict flow.

I had fuel injection so ran a facit red top to fill the swirl.

When pumping fuel it ticked away quite happily……sometimes really fast when a lot of fuel was being consumed

When it sucked in air from the rear fuel pickup the pump really hammered hard and the sound was easily audible over the engine noise.

Driving in the U.K. there are a lot of roundabouts, so you brake coming into them and the fuel sloshes forward in the tank. From around half a tank down the fuel pump would hammer under braking for the roundabouts. So the amount of slosh is a problem . On the occasional track time i did the braking a lot harder than on the road the pump hammered at about 2/3 tank down.

I would say if you are at the stage to add foam then do so.

Ian
Ian, Thx for sharing your experience. Yes, it just makes sense that braking is going to cause fuel starvation unless there is well designed baffling or anti slosh foam or balls. As Randy V. noted, a float type fuel level sender won’t work well. I am going to test using Wiffle Golf balls since they are very inexpensive and easy to install or remove. Cheers, Randy

Karel, I think a surge tank might still be needed even with anti slosh foam or balls.
I am thinking to use this compact one:
Thank you very much!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy, I don’t know if RCR tanks have baffles. I was thinking they do not based on comments Chuck’s comments where he mentioned Fran recommended foam. But RCR might have subsequently added baffling. I will check. But if there no baffling, then Wiffle balls are certainly less expensive than foam and probably less likely to clog filters with slothed off pieces. I am going to get some golf ball size and put them in a jar of gasoline to make they hold up.
Cheers, Randy
I checked in with RCR and they’re no longer installing baffles. Their reco is to use foam or cells..
I doubt that you’ll see any breakdown of the plastic in your test, but do let us know..

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I checked in with RCR and they’re no longer installing baffles. Their reco is to use foam or cells..
I doubt that you’ll see any breakdown of the plastic in your test, but do let us know..
Randy, Thx much for reaching out to RCR to confirm.

I thought my kit would be shipped last week, but it is still waiting for the +2 flares. It should be on its way soon. Assuming that is the case, one of my first steps is going to be the fuel system so my test of the Wiffle golf balls won’t be long in duration.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
My experience with foam is it will still slosh. I have bladders in my sponsons and no baffles.

I have a low pressure pump in each sponson sending fuel to a ~3.5 gal swirl pot. At lower tank levels, the slosh is enough that they will aspirate under braking or downhill. They out-supply what the EFI draws from the swirl pot so it will catch up and the swirl pot never runs low, so the EFI has never sucked air (except for when I ran the whole car out of fuel on my first tank).

My recommendation would be to foam it to the best of your ability, but to definitely have a swirl pot and also run pumps which can out supply the EFI and are not sensitive to a little air ingestion. I think it'd be foolish to not have a swirl pot based on EFI demands.

Back