RCR's Next car should be.....

image036.jpg

image035.jpg

image034.jpg

image020.jpg

I couldn't help myself...photos of it in battle, and an interior shot for you guys to enjoy. .Even as a died-in-the-wool P4 fanatic, I have to appreciate the 917, and this uber-developed variation especially so.

P4, 917, GT40, T-70....all seminal works of engineering art. I guess I really want them all....If we ever make it big time, Fran will have a LOT of cars to get ready for us... I appreciate that he chose to build the same list of cars that I have always admired and wanted....Oh, yeah, the Chevron B-16 deserves a mention too...

Cheers, Jennifer

If the 917 Kremer is too 'hot' for the street, then perhaps this variation of the P3, P4 would be perfect for a summer day's drive in the countryside....

350CanamF50a01.jpg

It would be a perfect summertime road and track-day sports car. However, I do prefer the lines of the P4 coupe body in the front and through the doors....the "basket handle" rear section would have to be flattened to match a low windscreen, THEN it would be just perfect, in the same way the Lola T-70 Spyder is, compared to the corresponding coupe......and that T-70 Spyder is a REAL attractive car! ..and yes, one of the moderators here drives HIS to work during the summer months! and then takes it racing on the weekends. just what a real sports car ought to be.

Well look what I found...someone already did what I had envisioned...This P4 replica has had the screen and doors cut down, and the CanAm style rear fitted...
P4FCJohnvO_24Sidesized.jpg

P4FCJohnvO_24OSFsized.jpg

P4FCJohnvO_24Frontsized.jpg

What a great summer car!

Hey Fran, how hard would it be to cut down the rear bodywork on your P4 to create some like this?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice! :thumbsup:

I don't think the crowd at the local Porky's Drive-In would appreciate it like my Blown Nova was - but who cares!

Oh that would be a blast to drive....

Hi Fran, I had not yet see that thread....Thanks for alerting me to it..
Once this business climate turns around we get back in the $$, I'm going to buy one of your P4s....I'm pretty serious about the CanAm rear deck....It's been a few decades since I did bodywork from scratch with the boys, but I think if I have to, I can cut and splice the baskethandle down...The front and doors area a simple matter of trimming window area. I'll want a legal roll cage too, specs for our regional sanctioning body, similar to SCCA though it will spoil the lines. In the absence of Ferrari power, LS-3 or 7 with Arao 4 valve heads and Kinsler injection..As usual, Porsche box &.Quaife diff.
KinslerLS6manifoldsford_clip_image0.jpg

KinslerLS2manifoldsford_clip_image0.jpg

Arao4valvechvy_smb_lg.jpg

valve_area_4vs.jpg

Aaraogreyheadcomplete.jpg

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Wasn't that Can Am Ferrari named a 612? I remember watching it run at Road America - Chris Amon driving?

It sounded great but was seriously underpowered.

Last edited:

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
To answer myself - I guess it wasn't...here is the 612 Can Am

Attachments

• 1968_Ferrari_612Canam1.jpg
    1968_Ferrari_612Canam1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 314
It was an amazing time for engineering...chassis, tires, engines and the beginnings of aero...all were advancing at an alarming rate in CanAm, making cars obsolete in what seemed like only a few months time...Tires went from treaded to soft gooey slicks at twice the width in only a few years! The Ferrari was great looking but behind the technology and displacement/power curve by the time it arrived, in a similar manner that the McLarens and Lolas were outclassed by the 917-30 with over 1000HP and handling to match.

I would not bother with the heads at all.....

Kinsler yes....but dont expect to get it to work under a CanAm tail....through it maybe but not under it...

Through the skin is a necessity, on two frionts...first the lack of clearance under, but more importantly to me, the sight of the velocity stacks on the Webers or Hillborn or Lucas or?? induction of the day was part and parcel to the enjoyment of watching and hearing the CanAm cars at Road America and A-SR everywhere SCCA ran races. A big American Holly or Rochester was just not "cool"....nor is a single horizontal throttle body in front of a set of runners like my LS1 has. True, it is quite functional and maintains a decent profile for a street daily driver, but it just lacks the 'genesequa' so essential to the one car that will be built to satisfy all the unfulfilled dreams and that will never have to turn a wheel in the rain.

These Arao heads are pretty trick,,,,good for free EZ HP. .Of course there is a point when you have to ask, just how much free breathing HP is really necessary, and a decent set of 2 valve heads WILL get you down the road. Now...if an authentic overhead cam multivalve Ferrari 12 cylinder just happened to land in the garage,......OhhhYeahhhh....but I would still hope for stacks...12 stacks says it all.. ....So do rear wheels that are wider than they are diameter, another sign of those times.

Pat

Supporter
The 1999 BMW V12 LMR. They are beautiful, BMW power is available and the chassis spec is similiar to other existing roadsters.

Attachments

• BMW V12 LMR.jpg
    BMW V12 LMR.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 340
ha, today when I went to a racing day for cancer patients on the circuit I saw a Ferrari P4, a nice view on the street.
then when I was on the circuit I saw it also there...it was there for the same reason as I was there driving cancer patients and or their family members around the track.
So that was a good way to see if I would love such car...well, from some angles its lovely but from other angles its not that much?
lets say the GT40 looks better for my personal taste :)

anyway made also a pictures and when I came home I thought hey...I can post that here, it is a Lee Noble replica of the P4

12082010114.jpg

That BMW is very cool....modern, aero, and something close certainly could be lurking in the sophisticated SLC underpinnings.....

Noble sure started something with his P4 replica....Many followed....Now there are several sources, from virtually tube and panel exact, to affordable and versatile, like Frans, that can accomidate a large range of engine/trans and are tough enough for regular street driving.

Back