Real? or GTD?

I took these shots today at Eastern Creek Racetrack in Sydney, Australia at a historic meeting. It looks real to me, but the registration label shows a chassis number starting with GTD. I don't know all the subtleties of GT40s, but I do know that GTD makes a replica. Just wondering, would be nice to know if these shots are of a real one, or a real good copy.

Attachments

• GT40a.jpg
    GT40a.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 504
  • GT40b.jpg
    GT40b.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 522
  • GT40c.jpg
    GT40c.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 428
Although I have seen some replicas made with this feature. The real Le Mans winner GT40/P1075 had quick release door handles. One matt black filler cap since it was filled up from only one side. No bulge in the roof. Definately a GTD.
Regards Allan

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys
Check out the thread on the NSW Show and Shine day at Brad Garlick Ford on the Australian Cobra Club forum.

We had 4 GT40's on display and this one was one of them.

I believe it belongs to one of the Cobra Club organisers.

And yes it is a replica.

Dimi

You used to be able to tell a replica from the real thing by the bodywork fit - the real ones were not very good and bore the scars from racing whereas the replicas were perfect! However, a lot of the real GT40s have now been completely rebuilt and are at least as good as the replicas and also continuation models are claiming to be the real thing.

Chris

You used to be able to tell a replica from the real thing by the bodywork fit - the real ones were not very good and bore the scars from racing whereas the replicas were perfect! However, a lot of the real GT40s have now been completely rebuilt and are at least as good as the replicas and also continuation models are claiming to be the real thing.

Chris
The shut lines are not the basis for the replica versus real arguement. The continuation models are not real no matter how good. Why because they are not built for the same reasons and with the same time line as the originals. Or for that matter within the same period of time the racing cars existance and competitiveness. between 1965-1970!!. I really do admire all the great "GT40's" that have been built from kits or scratch built. But comparing any seriously to an original especially P1075 or P1046. This is a non starter since any car made nowdays could and should be better that the original with modern technology. You are comparing a modern car with one thats over 40 years old!!!!!
Regards Allan

To that end, do you build your car to the best model tec has to offer (mechanically) or try to build some thing from the past which will never be original????????????????????????

I have this issue at the moment !!!am just about to order a kit and have to decide which direction to go in ?? best of modern stuff or true replica !!

I have not got a car replica or original. I would love to of own one (replica).
It entirely down to you what you want. Modern or as near to the original as you want. All I am saying is that the original was a 40 year old racing car with just that purpose. And some people are trying to link their replicas in somehow to give them kuodos or exclusivity.
The reason for the replica wheither modern or as close to the real think is love for the original shape and the lack of funds to own the real thing. Some people also like the actual building; some like racing: some like showing. What ever your reasons for owning or building one surely its to get enjoyment out of it. The following example this is not a forty and would probably make the purests reach for their hankachiefs. There is a special replica P4 Ferrari replica that some one has made with I think a aeroplanes joystick and a replica F50 tail. He made his own tail when he found out the price for a real one was £35000!!
So I say to each his or her own and get as much pleasure out of it. As I have been as this part of the GT40 community.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
thanks Alan good advice , i love the build !!! without a doubt when i start this build it will be my 4th kit car project so i must be a sucker for punishment !!!

The shut lines are not the basis for the replica versus real arguement. The continuation models are not real no matter how good. Why because they are not built for the same reasons and with the same time line as the originals. Or for that matter within the same period of time the racing cars existance and competitiveness. between 1965-1970!!. I really do admire all the great "GT40's" that have been built from kits or scratch built. But comparing any seriously to an original especially P1075 or P1046. This is a non starter since any car made nowdays could and should be better that the original with modern technology. You are comparing a modern car with one thats over 40 years old!!!!!
Regards Allan

Hi Allan

My comment on the quality of the bodywork being a criterion for determining whether a GT40 was an original or replica was intended to be a joke. I agree entirely with your comment on "continuation" models. I have no problems at all with anyone claiming that their GT40 is an exact replica of an original and wish the very best to those that are producing them. However I do have a problem with "continuation" models being given FIA papers to enable them to race with other genuine classic cars. This apparently is being proposed for the SPF (or might have already happened), which is a car which even the manufacturer claims is only a 95% replica (some say less). In the future, are we going to see whole grids in classic car racing composed of modern replicas? If so, I see no point to classic car racing.

In fairness to SPF, I think this is the fault of the FIA, who seem to have lost control of the situation IMO. The same thing might be happening with other classic cars.

I am a fan of classic car racing and am immensely grateful to the car owners who are prepared to commit their valuable cars to the track. Long may it continue.

Chris

There is a growing trend now for owners of real high dollar race cars to actually compete in high dollar replicas. Many organizations make it now possible as long as the spirit (speak underpowered engines and bad brakes) of the original is kept.
Personally I would rather see nice replicas in vintage paint schemes than real cars dressed up with the latest jaegermeister sponsor decals.....

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

I personally can not understand this obsession with regard to whether a car is an original or a replica.

As far as I can see the original GT40 was produced in a very limited production run and only a small number of them were made.

After that all others no matter how good or otherwise are replicas.

Just because we hand build our cars to duplicate the originals they can never be classed as anything more than a copy.

I do not think any less of a car just because it is a replica, in fact some of the 40's being made now are much better cars than the originals but to try and have a new copy recognised as a classic or so called continuation model when it clearly is not is wrong in my opinion.

Other than for the monetary value I personally would not want to own an original due to the maintenance issues and the old technology on today's roads.

I drive mine as often as possible and clock up about 1000 Km's a month secure in the knowledge that should something get broken it is not a major drama and can easily be repaired/replaced.

I would not feel so comfortable with an original not knowing where to source the next spares from if required.

The only new 40 that deserves to be called original would be one that was built from original NOS parts in total.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dimi

Back