Rear Tail Light Removal

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I'm in need of removing the complete tail light assembly from the rear clip.

Appears the "can" at the interior is siliconed all around. I'm assuming it simply needs to be razor cut on the silicone and the can pops off. There are two screws on the tail light lens' but have not removed those yet. Before I tear into it are there any suggestions, TIA

Tim

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Rick, tried your suggestion but it's some strong ass RTV holding the can to the clip. A plastic or metal putty knife will not penetrate it. I was going to slide a razor in between the two but I can't tell if there is a lip there or is the "can" simply a flat surface against the RTV?

I'm in need of removing the complete tail light assembly from the rear clip.

Appears the "can" at the interior is siliconed all around. I'm assuming it simply needs to be razor cut on the silicone and the can pops off. There are two screws on the tail light lens' but have not removed those yet. Before I tear into it are there any suggestions, TIA

Tim

Why are you removing the light?

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Jack, I'm having the same issue as Richard in regards to the bolts holding the lens are going round and round when trying to remove. Need to get access from the inside to hold the nuts on the other end of the lens bolt.

Grady, just replacing a bad bulb.

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
The Strong ass RTV is actually Urathane that was sprayed from a caulking tube. -- razor blades have worked for us on the Daytona Coupes from the same place.

Back