Registering in CA with Oregon Plates

Sorry, my mistake, thought the reference was to my comment. I should know this week if the owner was successful getting the title changed. He already checked into it online with OR DMV and there is a form to do this. He also found that OR DMV expects cars like this to be registered as the year and car they replicate so hopefully he can change it to a 1966 Ford GT40, fingers crossed.

The owner just got back from his DMV office and was able to make the change! It is now a 1965 Ford GT40. The first title had not been issued yet despite having a temporary and the DMV worker said it was incorrectly done to begin with. He should have the title in a week or two and we can show photo proof to the 3 buyers currently interested in the car.

In order for this car to be legally registered and smogged in CA, it must go through the SB100 process. There is no other legal method available.

That may be but still a huge victory, getting it in CA as a 1993 would not be possible. We can now market this car successfully in CA, major hurdle overcome today.

Oregon has a process to classify these as ASMBL for an assembled car. My Registration says 1966. This is like the Specialty Construction classification in CA except where I live in OR there are no smog requirements (other places in OR have smog testing). I would imagine that CA would treat this as SPCN and require SB100.

Good luck!

Thanks Mike, at least this puts us in a much better position for CA registration, I welcome the SB100 process vs our previous position any day.

yes, the only downside is the limited slots which go fast...someone might have to wait the better part of a year to register (but it beats not being able to register). By the way, when I SB100 another car in CA I was given temp sticker to be able to satisfy the completion and dialing in of the car and the CHP inspection. This dragged on for months and I was able to get more than one. This allowed the car to be driven legally to take care of things.

If I figure out a way to buy this car myself, I could continue to drive it under current OR registration and just do the transfer in 2011, meanwhile get on the list for SB100. The owner is a very good friend and not in a rush to sell, the current plates and registration are good through 2011. Once I have the new title in hand I will contact a BAR referee and see what next steps would be.

If I figure out a way to buy this car myself, I could continue to drive it under current OR registration and just do the transfer in 2011, meanwhile get on the list for SB100. The owner is a very good friend and not in a rush to sell, the current plates and registration are good through 2011. Once I have the new title in hand I will contact a BAR referee and see what next steps would be.

You really ought to familiarize yourself with the process. It doesn't start at the BAR ref. You cannot make an appointment with the BAR ref until you have an SB100 #. In order to get an SB100 number, you need to start the registration process and pay your fees and taxes at the DMV. The DMV will give you a form to take to the CHP for VIN assignment and/or verification, assuming the CHP officer likes your current OR VIN. You can also get the brake and light inspection anytime by a CA B&L Inspection station. That can be done independently.

Good Luck.

Hi Rod, will definitely get more familiar with the process if I do go that route however I suspect the car will sell to one of the 4 interested parties now. Their interest has been renewed with this latest development.

Mike, the owner lives in Williams, OR about an hour east of Medford up in the sticks, very remote. The car is in my garage in Sacramento though.

Back