Review of GT40 Replication Ltd

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Alan,

I purchased the fiberglass seat shells and will have them upholstered to replicate the original style. I'll post some pics this weekend.

Phil Ware was a pleasure to work with. We had many information exchanges and he was forthright. Lead time was 3-4 months when I purchased my car. I would definitely do business with Phil again. No worries at all.

Shipping the car was quite easy. Be prepared to spend about $3500 for customs/duty/shipping. Entry into the US isn't an issue, it is legally classified as car parts. My broker hadn't done this before but after a bit of "education" form me and help from some folks on this forum it went smoothly.

The car is a little more involved than a Factory Five cobra due to the rear engine layout. I think you find it to be an easy build in that all the major issues are addressed by Phil. All the bits and pieces are easily obtained.

The SVT is a neat car but the 40 is the way to go!

I just finished studying Phil's site more carefully and found the pages with the price list and what parts are still needed.

Looks to me like I would want everything in the 29k package except I would "delete" the pin drive hubs and probably find all of the brake parts here in the states.

I wonder who's got the best prices for the willwood stuff here? I have a "truechoice" catalog & will see what they go for in there.

I'd probably go with PS wheels for the street, but in 17inch so I can put decent tires on it.

All I can say is that I'm looking forward to seeing "updates" on your site.
In the meantime, I have alot of notes to take & cost estimating to do.

Now lemme see.......
Waynes killer induction system is 5k&change,
a set of wheels/tires will run about 2k,
figure 3.5 to paint,,,,,,now I wonder how much an aluminum 347 stroker longblock would run me
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I think the aluminum blocks are atleast $3000. Definately a consideration as they cost significantly more then a high quality cast iron block. The weight difference appears to be about 75 lbs.

Neal and Scott-

Congrats on your purchase. I almost purchased one of Phil's kits back in November, but the lack of a manual made me change my mind. Now I regret that decision.

I'm currently building an FFR Cobra, but when I'm done next year, I plan on pursuing a GT40 from Phil.

Bill D

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if GT40 Replications Ltd is still around in NZ or are they trading under different name etc....

Thanks

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
The company has been closed. A north american outfit bought the IP. Not sure if they are still active.

There is currently for sale a GT40 'business' in Nelson-NZ for around NZ $ 250,000.00. Comprises a complete car with 289/ZF, chassis jigs ( Spaceframe), molds etc. Long time since I have looked closely at a GT40NZ chassis, but appears similar from memory- but then dont they all.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, I saw that a wee while ago. Dave Harvey lives in Nelson and I'm pretty sure that's him selling the stuff.

Dave bought the company from Phil Ware some years ago and from what I can gather did some much needed upgrades to the quality of the product and then embarked on moving the venture to North America. I believe molds and jigs were shipped over there and he lost everything when he got involved with another person/company to do the production.

IMHO it is unlikely that those are the good jigs/molds that were shipped Stateside, I think they are more likely to be the old ones that he originally purchased from Phil Ware. Steve (sp250) would probably be able to confirm or otherwise but he hasn't been around on here for a couple of weeks.

Back