Review of RF085

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well said Ross.

Now, just out of interest, what are the top GT3 and F5000 times at Sandown?

Look forward to seeing you here in a week or so.

Cheers.

FWIW, in my club race car I am matching the times of a well known professional driver, in his track GT3 (he normally races a Viper), at my local circuit.
There's a clip of me racing him at a local sprint event at www.dairally.net/deane/Tim/Tim V Greg 060806.mpg if you're interested.

My best time in the RF is some 3 1/2 seconds slower but I think with recent improvements I could probably get a good deal closer.

Tim.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes my best lap was in the last race, it was during qualifying I found the brakes were no good.Excuses excuses LOL. The racing I do is at State level and the Viper holds the record and the GT3 cars are in the 1min 16 to 19 sec time, whereas the 1min 12sec time Tim pointed out is from the Carrera Cup National series, 2006 spec cars with gun drivers and latest spec cars owned by deep pocketed individuals. Times range from 1min 12 to 1min 16sec. The GT3 cars I race against are generally the older cars that usually come from that National series, still very effective beasts as you can see. I'll let you know the F5000 times in November Russ as I've entered the historic meeting at Sandown and the 5000s are on the bill.I know my car is not historic but the powers that be have seen sense to allow me on the grid, goodie.
Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Tim now what car are you driving in competition and who is the mysterious gun driver. When I see those pics of your car I thinks it's mine but then I remember I now have white stripes.Red with single nostril good choice.
Ross

:)
When it came to colour the choice was easy. I had wanted the GT since I was a kid so when I decided to get one it was an easy choice to do it in the colour I wanted as a kid also. :)

I have different cars for different things.
Mysterious driver... hehehe, from now on I think I'll call him "The Stig"... :)

Tim.

ross nicol said:
Thanks Tim now what car are you driving in competition and who is the mysterious gun driver. When I see those pics of your car I thinks it's mine but then I remember I now have white stripes.Red with single nostril good choice.
Ross

Hmmm. Greg - Tassie - Viper -...... not that hard.

I was fortunate enough see Tim's toys up close when i was in Tassie last easter. The WRX is a work of art under the bonnet. Lots of ponies in there.

Ross. It will be a huge buzz to have your 40 in the paddock AND on the track at the Historice. I've heard there will be 15+ F5000's there. Wow!

Last edited:
Hehe, I noticed the edit Tim. ;)
I do have a Skyline GT-R so the confusion is understandable. It's in a million bits ATM, not sure what stage it was at when you were here. It should be good for about 700bhp so it's only in a mild state of tune. :)

Anyone (in Australia) thinking of an Elise or variant should immediately contact this man as he has the most awesome conversion available! It is a fantastic vehicle and high on my possible next car list.

Tim.

I agree with you whole heartedly Ross with regards to driving within comfort zones. To expand on my comment about the car having much more in it, it is more to do with me than the car. I’m definitely driving within my comfort zone at the moment. In an ideal world I’d have a big enough budget to explore the car’s limits by throwing it off the track but unfortunately reason and the total lack of any practical information on this car’s track manners suggests that I should approach it in diminishing halves and then gently explore the limit. But don’t underestimate the benefits of being familiar with a car. What at the start might have seemed like a fine line (or even an invisible line) between grip and whoops, can appear a thick paint stroke once you have found the balance and explored that limit many times.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
roaldin said:
This car has been on the slow burner for a while and I've been doing other things. My priorities have changed in that time. I will get the steering sorted in the end, I hope, but the car will almost certainly not see any real competition. As a road car it will (hopefully) be spectacular! :)
To be honest I still haven't gotten past the sheer joy of looking at it!

Tim.

Tim,

That car's got too much good gear in it to be "retired" from competition!! Mind you, I notice you seem to have more toys than some, so maybe that's an understandable position.

I note the original spec included a splitter which does not appear to be on the car now?

Cheers

The splitter is off for convenience. I can't do much with the car around Tas' with it in place.
It'll go on for high speed work.

Tim.

Last edited:
Back