45.6 KB · Views: 693
  • GOOdwood 11.jpg
    GOOdwood 11.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 675
  • GOOdwood 13.jpg
    GOOdwood 13.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 708

Keith

Great pics...The last one seems strangely out of context for some reason......:confused:

Who's was the Gulf liveried Ford GT parked outside the party tent tonight??? :)

Still recovering from the shock of a 400 mph 50ft altitude fly by, by a P51 and a Spitfire. Can't remember what the stands are called on the outside of the track by the chicane leading to the main straight, but these boys flew between them over the field with wingtips about 2' apart......

:eek:

Took loads of pics - so here's a few more.

Some bikes - planes (Hurricane) - Cobra slide/gravel - Glam Cabs - BRM 'ART' - Cornering 'ERA Style' - Sir Stirling Moss + Roy Salvadori - Sir John Whitmore (coupe) - Rowan Atkinson (Stang) - Peter Hardman (Fezzer)

Attachments

• Bike1.jpg
    Bike1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 612
  • Bike2.jpg
    Bike2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 964
  • Plane1.jpg
    Plane1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 615
  • Plane2.jpg
    Plane2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 615
  • Plane3.jpg
    Plane3.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 608
  • Cobra Slide.jpg
    Cobra Slide.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,007
  • Cobra Gravel.jpg
    Cobra Gravel.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 609
  • Need a cab.jpg
    Need a cab.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 632
  • BRM ART.jpg
    BRM ART.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 638
  • ERA Style.jpg
    ERA Style.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 593
  • Stirling and Roy Salvadori.jpg
    Stirling and Roy Salvadori.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 602
  • Sir John Whitmore.jpg
    Sir John Whitmore.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 594
  • Rowan Atkinson.jpg
    Rowan Atkinson.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 600
  • Peter Hardman in Fezzer.jpg
    Peter Hardman in Fezzer.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 599
And what about the Whitsun Trophy??

Ray Bellm had a blistering start and got in front of Frank Sytner's Lola T70. He managed to keep Frank at bay for 6 or 7 laps or so, till the race was red flagged due to another Lola having a major 'off' and knocking off a rear corner. Waiting for the restart, Ray commented on the 'aerodynamic additions' to the Lola that he did not recall ever seing on 'period cars'.... hmmmm

Anyway - a restart see's Frank take the lead, and the Orange McLaren get the better of Ray briefly, till he retook second place and started to put pressure on Frank. But could he pass? - Well he did'nt need to, despite the aero appendages bolted to Franks Lola, he managed to throw it into the infield at St-Mary's and after a full 360 spin, speared the straw bales protecting a outlying TV screen and support Van + a TV camera that caught it all on tape (brave Cameraman!!).

So, in the final picture, showing the lower splitter - what do you all reckon? - Cheating? or not Cheating? (The better sportsman won regardless!)

Attachments

• WH1.jpg
    WH1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 609
  • WH2.jpg
    WH2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 609
  • WH3.jpg
    WH3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 604
  • Broken Lola.jpg
    Broken Lola.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 653
  • WH4.jpg
    WH4.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 613
  • WH5.jpg
    WH5.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 614
  • WH6.jpg
    WH6.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 606
  • WH7.jpg
    WH7.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 611
So
1st Ray his 40
2nd Nick Whale a Mclaren Chevrolet MkIIb
3rd Jon Marc Gounon in a 40
4th Shaun Lynn in a 40

Pics of 1st and 2nd -

Plus - talking of historic eligibility - I did'nt realise that 65 Stingray's came complete with aluminium AFR heads....;)

Oh and a pic of a Jag exhaust flaming - just cos I liked it...:)

Attachments

• Bellm 1st.jpg
    Bellm 1st.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 614
  • Mclaren 2nd.jpg
    Mclaren 2nd.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 590
  • Stingray AFR.jpg
    Stingray AFR.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 605
  • Jag Flamer.jpg
    Jag Flamer.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 603
Paul, what chassis number is the spyder?.

Based on the numbers painted on it, I believe that is GT/112, one of the four original spyders. However, the chassis from GT/111 was recently unearthed, and in period was painted this green color and raced at the 1965 Targo Florio (its only race) wearing number 194. It was to be restored back to its Targo Florio livery, so when it does appear it should look exactly the same. Thus it's possible if Glenscoe Motorsport really got their skates on when it was delivered to them earlier this year, that it was finished and this was its debut?

We need more information from somebody who was actually there! :)

Did David Piper own one or even two F3L at some time ago? If my memory serves me well, total was 3 cars? If so, is that Mann car ex-Piper?

Yep, Pipes did own an F3L and it is the one now owned by Alan Mann. Restored in the 90's by Clive Robinson and raced by Jonathan Baker in The Masters Series. 3 originals, one written off way back when and the other was in german hands but caught fire some time ago. Don't know if it was ever repaired. Still a beautifull car though.
Does anyone know whose T70 that was that had the back end ripped off? Hope not Marc Devis or Jose Alberquerque. Just done a bit of work on both of theirs.

Darren

CRC Racecar Engineering

Magnificent pictures Paul

lower splitter - what do you all reckon? - Cheating? or not Cheating?

If the question is "were they used in period?" I say not cheating, but then what do I know?

Fred W B

T70-Surtees02.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
More of 111 at Goodwood - my wife liked it and took the pictures.
That second engine of mine might not be a spare after all !!

Linden Green on an original Norfolk Blue chassis.

Note the prototype lower driving light recesses

Attachments

• GT111-001.jpg
    GT111-001.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 595
  • GT111-002.jpg
    GT111-002.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 554
  • GT111-003.jpg
    GT111-003.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 596
  • GT111-004.jpg
    GT111-004.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 600
  • GT111-005.jpg
    GT111-005.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 603
  • GT111-006.jpg
    GT111-006.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 572
  • GT111-007.jpg
    GT111-007.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 562
  • GT111-008.jpg
    GT111-008.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 590
  • GT111-009.jpg
    GT111-009.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
Thanks for that Fred - it does look that from the 'period' photo you've posted, that front splitter/wing or whatever the correct term is, was a correct part (although the one in the pic looks a little battle-damaged), I wonder if the Sytner part was correct then. Academic really as Bellm managed to push Sytner to what appeared to be a self induced error...

James - nice pics, your wife obviously has good taste... One thing I noticed looking at some others I took was that what looked like the vin plate looked as though it had been defaced...? - Anyone else see it?

Also - anyone have an opinion on the AFR head eligibility??

Attachments

• Spyder plate.jpg
    Spyder plate.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Paul,
Yes, I noticed that the Ford chassis plate was all chewed up. Unusual as the parent plating was good and intact.
The stamps clearly showed #111

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Paul,
I don't have a clue as to the AFRs eligability, however here is a shot of the blue Cobra's heads.
They are C6FEs and made my day out.

Attachments

• C6FE ENGINE 001.jpg
    C6FE ENGINE 001.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 554
  • C6FE ENGINE 002.jpg
    C6FE ENGINE 002.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 579
He might be wishing he had bought some better guide plates to go with the ARP head studs & rocker studs going by the worn push rod guide slot for #1 ex valve. Looks like it failed at the valve lock /retainer groove after the rocker jumped sideways.

Jac Mac

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jac,
Well spotted, I vote that we need to change your name to Hawkeye.

It was'nt that he had the problem which made my day, it was the fact that these heads had no cast-in spring pockets because I have three differing sets of these heads and the set with no pockets worried me for a wee while.

Just to stop all confusion. There were five built roadsters. One roadster chassis not used (?)
GT108 Was built but never raced
GT109 Number 15 Le Mans 1965 retired within the first hour with transmission failure.
Now we are getting confused
In Ronnie Spains book two chassis were made at the same time GT110
He calls them GT110 and GT110A as the second chassis was not numbered. These were expermental Roadster Aluminium chassis built by Abbey Pannels.
GT110 Became the Can Am X1 racing with the full Le Mans nose from the 1965 427 Le Mans Ford GT MKII. It was later strenghtened and brought up to MKII specs as the X1 MKII roadster in 1966. With Ken Miles and Lloyd Ruby at the wheel it won the Sebring 12 hours. The chassis was finally destroyed in 1970 to satisfy the customs men.
GT110A was never used. It was still around as a bare chassis in the mid 80's in the USA.
GT111 It was at the 1965 Le Mans Trails (as number 7 ?) It ran at the Targa Florio in linden green (number 194) were it crashed. It was supposed to stripped of all usuable parts and scrapped at Slough? This was the car at Goodwood Revival 2007 I have got a picture of Sir John Whitmore sitting in it.
GT112 was the Roadster with a roof fitted and known as a P40. It was converted back in a standard GT40 and is still in its orange and special trim.

The Ford P68 was a development bodly of the Can Am Honker II If I am right they were both Len Baily designs.

As far as the Ford GT family the Lola Mk 6 was its mother and the Lola T70MKIII was not only the immediate successor but its younger brother. From the cars Len Bailey developed.
Do not forget the MKIV is not a GT40 and the 1968,1969 Gulf cars are a modfied MK1 and rebuilt M1 Mirage.

Regards Allan

The Lola t70 front spoiler design was common to the surtees and Gurney cars in 1966.
We got a tech notice for the revival that did not adress it, but did specify 8" and 10" wheels and other tidbits. It was not cheating.

Back