Revival Pics - Share them here...

OK, now i have to look and see if the cars were to be prepared to 1965 or 1966 specification, but If it passed tech it was not cheating in my opinion.

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Johan,

The GRRC Race Programme and Events Timetable for the 2007 Revival meeting describes the Whitsun Trophy as being "For sports-racing prototypes of a type that raced between 1963 and 1966"

Jim

The cut off date for all Goodwood Revival races is 1966. I have discovered a picture of the Ford France car 15 running six spoke BRM wheels in the 1966 Le Mans race. But Gurney Welslake heads are surely 1967 vintage???!!!
Regards Allan

Malcolm

Supporter
OK, now i have to look and see if the cars were to be prepared to 1965 or 1966 specification, but If it passed tech it was not cheating in my opinion.

Don't know your involvement with the car in question, Johan, so this reply is generic and not aimed at anyone in particular, but....

if your car passes tech, either it was 100% ok or if carrying advantage giving items ie you are cheating, you just weren't caught. But that is still cheating. Of course the first rule of cheating is not to get caught! :)

Gurney Weslake heads are 1966 vintage. My car raced with them and won in 1966.
The spoiler is similar to 1966 front spoilers run by Gurney and Surtees. It was not a case of cheating, at least based on heads or spoilers.

Gurney Weslake heads are 1966 vintage. My car raced with them and won in 1966.

Hi Johan
If Gurney Welslake heads were available in 1966 why did not all the small engined 289 /4.7litre MK1 Gt40 run with them? Was Dan Gurneys Lola T70 the first one to use them. Were they ever involved on his F1 Eagle In 1966? Why did John Wyer say that until Ford pulled out in 1967 he then had access to the Gurney Welslake heads?
Regards Allan

Allen, yes the AAR Lola T.70 used the heads first ( in the MK II version ) with success in 1966 as well as the MK I version (of the head) and the MK III version, perhaps for fuel injection ,was used in the 1966 Eagle.
I know this because I just got the new book on Gurney Eagles. The Gurney heads were just a part of the system he used. He says he revved the engine over 9000 during the Bridgehampton Can Am race in 1966, which he won.
I do not know any particulars about the system for distributing the heads amongst the teams though. Interestingly, Team Surtees tried Weslake heads on their Chevy Can am Lola in 1969, but to no avail as McLaren came out with the Reynolds Aluminum BBC.
Regards,
Johan

Historic racing in Europe is governed by tha FIA and is run to Appendix K of the FIA rules. Generally these rules try to keep to the homlogated specification, assuming the FIA still has a copy of the relevant paper. So if a part was run on a car in the USA but not sanctioned for use in Europe, then it won't be legal.
However, Goodwood is an invitation only event and there seems to be considerable leeway in what they will accept. They seem to work on the basis that it should look period even if the mechanical parts are not. So GT40s are limited to 10 inch rims and Dunlop historic tyres while sporting Weslake heads and engine capacities greater than 4.7 litres. If appendix K was strictly enforced they wouldn't get half the cars they want to see there. It's all about the spectacle rather than who actually wins the races.

T70s are limited to the same wheel and tire constraints.
My T70 invitation read "No wet sumps"....which I thought was odd.

Johan
It still seems weird that John Wyer in maybe late 1967 said that once Ford pulled out offically from Sportcar racing (allowing for the fact that they had done their job with an all American car the Ford MKIV and team winning Le Mans) that he could get hold of various works spares like Gurney Weslake heads??? Did any GT40 use Gurney heads in 1966?? In the "Gurneys Eagles" book by Karl Ludvigsen the Gurney Weslake heads in MKIII form were fitted to the Eagle chassis that had raced at Indy in 1966. in late 1966 work on a lighter MarkIV version begain developed for passenger used and racing. This was used on a 305cid engine in his winning 1967 Riverside Eagle. By 1968 AAR was making these heads at its own facilities. It tried selling them to the Lincoln Mercury or Ford to no avail. Then it mention them used of course in the winnig Gulf Ford GT40's at Le Mans in 1968 and 1969. So no GT40 had them in 1966??
I have a picture of the number 15 Ford France car at Le Mans 1966 wearing 6 spoke (BRM wheels). If this is the case the next time I see a GT40 or variant with these wheels is the M1 Mirage and the J car being tested by Bruce Mclaren both in 1967???? Were they in limited supply? or were Hailbrands a better option I have not seen any other GT40's in 1966 0r 1967 running these wheels apart from the afore mentioned!
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Back