RF40 in Canada

I am aware that Ian Clark is the Canadian representative for Autofutura/CAV out of Burlington, but I was wondering if anyone has recently tried to import an RF40 kit/turnkey minus into Canada, or if Roaring Forties has ever, or will ever attempt to acquire a canadian partner/distributor?

I would anticipate that if the SF40 project comes to fruition later this year, cars should become available in Canada eventually as superformance does have a dealer here selling cobras (Macro auto sports inc.). However, I have not contacted this dealer about their involvement with the GT40 project.

It would certainly be nice to have the RF40 option here in Canada!

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Hi Rob,

I have been working with Transport Canada to bring the MDA GT40 over to Canada /USA for the last 12 months. I have one MDA part keeping me from an offical announcement that should be cleared by next week. If you're interested in more information you can contact me directly until I make the posting next week. Most on this forum know it's been a work in progress so I'll spare them from the repetition for now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Let me know.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Rob,

It's not likely to happen, but I'll be next in line after you if it does. I spoke with Transport Canada and basically kit cars are NOT allowed into the country. You can import some specific components (TC must approve the list) and then add others to complete your car, but not if they all come from the same source directly. I don’t know how CAV did it, or the Superformance dealer does either. I did hear that a (don’t remember which) dealer in Toronto was under investigation for illegal importation (irregularities?) with respect to Cobra kits. I do know that there is someone (OK, Chris can type faster and let it out) making efforts to bring a UK kit here, but I understand that the road has not been smooth. Bit of a pain really, but sure does ensure exclusivity if you do get one here. And if you do, please let me know how. I’m working on it as well, as I have a burning desire that MUST be fulfilled... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob, for further info regarding import into Canada, go to this site: www.riv.ca

That's the Registar of Imported Vehicles and spells out what exactly can come into Canada. You will note the passage dealing with kitcars...

Ok, got fajita's on the grill so must be quick (yeah just clear the snow off the bbq, you'll be fine) brrrrrrr...

Anyway, the vast majority of the MKI will be included in the package (anything specifically made by MDA for the GT40 MKI). The rest will be 'off-the-shelf' items like brake rotors, springs, engine is usually a local thing, wheels etc.. the Renault UN1 will be sourced through me as well with Quaife options and LSD. I think it actually gives the builder a choice of brand preferences and I will personnaly make sure nobody is left with a car they cannot complete.

More info to come...

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
The passage says "none are admissible". Hopefully Chris won't burn the fajitas and will return soon (yeah, I guess next week is technically "soon") with more info on the MDA deal. There are an awful lot of Cobras around here that I'm sure aren't scratch-built, so the ARE ways to build your own car from some sort of "kit". What I can't figure out is how the CAV and Superformance can do turnkey cars here. When I asked the feds, they just said "it can't be done".

Where there's a will, there's a way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No burnt stuff tonight! Actually, the words 'kit' or 'kitcar' or 'replica' are taboo. And your are correct - none are admissable. The only way I figure CAV or others have been able to bring those cars into Canada (and this is pure speculation by me) is that they were ordered and delivered as a 'Closed Course Compotition Vehicle' which are prohibited from street use (the owner can then find a creative way of registering it) or it was brought up from the USA after it was 'titled' as a 1966-69 (of which most of these places have been busted).

At least I can tell you that the MDA MKI 'Package'will be legal and what you'll get are GT40 MKI 'Parts'. As long as the rest of the vehicle is sourced in Canada and there are no systems of any sort, not one bolt, washer or nut fastened to the chassis it can imported. That's the condenced version - should anyone else have the desire to try this kind of thing, all I can say is 'take your coat off and stay awhile...' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And as Chris and Mark have pointed out in the a/n, your other recourse is scratch-built (my route) but be prepared for a helluva lot of work!!!!

Funny how people can produce kitcars here in Canada and sell them to the States but not vice versa, isn't that a trade infringement of NAFTA...? And to top it all off, kitcars are "automatically exempt" from CleanAir emission testing because, "the vast majority of kitcar and/or homebuilt vehicles are well prepared and properly looked after by their owners..."

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That's pretty funny Rick.

Much of canadian government policy doesn't make much sense to me. You'd think that it would be easier to import a car into Canada than the States. I'm also curious about learning more about this 'parts' issue and why certain parts are prohibited from use while other are not.

When I get time, I think I'll write the ministry a letter to get to the bottom of this kit car issue.

Rob

Just for the record I can assure you that both the Superformance and the CAV replicas are completely legal and there is nothing illegal about either of these companies and what they are doing. Obviously they will not divulge how they get things done.
I own both, the 4th Superformance cobra and the FIRST CAV in Canada. To say I was the guinea pig for CAV is an understatement.
Both cars are legal, titled and plated for the road. I drive them both and they have been at numerous car shows on a weekly basis in the GTA in Ontario /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm sure you fellows will figure something out. If Superformance and CAV get the job done then there are no fundamental differences that won't allow you to do it either. It is a shame that the government there and here in some of the states makes it a long and trying process what a hobby that has zero impact on overall commerece, trade, or emissions so I'm not sure what they are trying to protect. Suppose they are protecting us from outselves!

Hi Angelo,

I have no doubts your car is legal. I have spoken with TC so many times, on a personal level at that - up front and honest and I have been flatly told there are no loop-holes anymore. There is no back door. There is absolutely no way anyone will be able to purchase a replica or kitcar and import it unless it either meets ALL CMVSS testing requirements. If not, an approved box of parts is what you'll get - and that ain't easy either.

Thankfully you were able to bring one in - we're all just a little envious eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for your input on this issue Angelo. I think that everyone would agree your cars are legal since they have been officially registered. We all are envious. But with all due respect, one could infer that being a company's guinea pig might imply an element of risk when attempting to street legalize a vehicle. Since there are next to no GT40s in Canada, I would argue that every potential GT40 owner could be considered a guinea pig as well, and who's to say if they will have the same success when bringing their car in for inspection by Transport Canada, unless this is prearranged by the company prior to purchase.

Perhaps I have this all wrong. I make no claims to be an expert on Canadian motor vehicle policy by any means, and to be honest, I'm not even sure how this process is done, and I would certainly like to learn more. But I will say that if one GT40 company is be able to import their cars into Canada both successfully and repeatedly, then the secret to successful street legalization shouldn't a question of specific tactics IMHO. Otherwise, one would wonder whether these cars will remain street legal in the future.

I'm with Ron on this one - I hope we canucks can figure something out!

Sincerely,
Rob

The only trick is in the wording. If you are a company that is doing multiple cars, then, by the sounds of it there are certain allowed components that can be brought in so that you can build a car. For Joe Blow, if you want to bring a car in for yourself, get it shipped in 2 or 3 separate loads, bring it in as parts for your car that you are rebuilding, throw away any manufacturers documentation and vin # and when it comes time to register it, tell them you built the car yourself.

Ron Earp

Admin
Rob, I do hope that you fellows can come to some agreement to help each other since they're can't be a huge number of you in the first place. But, to cite frknfast "Obviously they will not divulge how they get things done." it appears that the groups are not out to help each other. In fact, quite the opposite - it seems that they are out to keep each other from entering the market. That is too bad and the forum is one place where I hoped that people would find mutually agreeable parties to help each other build and drive GT40s. I'm sure that frknfast knows how he registered his cars - he owns them and at least in the US that means you've got a good idea of how they got registered and can help others do the same. Maybe he'd be a good place to start for help if the manufactuers will not.

IMHO that is a loss to all our Northern neighbors since I'm sure there are a decent number of you that want to have, drive, build, and buy GT40s. I for one wish you good luck and encourage you to post everything you can about the process as you learn it - knowledge is power and there is no sense in one group holding it all and it seems absurb in this day and age. At least it appears you have one thing in your favor (appears is an assumption) - that if you figure it out then it is good for all of Canada. In the US every state has laws on registering the cars as well as the Federal stuff so if it works for Joe in CA that doesn't mean it works for Fred in FL.

Take care,
Ron

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
You are correct, Ron. There are really two issues. The first is getting the kit/parts into the country and the second is registering it as a vehicle on the road. Our provinces, like the US states take differing views on registering hand-built vehicles. In Ontario (the most populated province, registration is not that difficult. As long as the vehicle meets some fairly basic requirements (and every GT40 kit I've seen would), the car can be registered for the road. Insurance is another problem altogether...

The biggest problem is really getting the car into Canada in the first place. It’s this area that we (Canadians) all have the same hurdle. I understand the vendor’s desire to keep the “how” secret, as it does form part of the value of the product they’re trying to sell. Clearly as hobbyists we want everything to be openly discussed, but business is business, and I’m sure that Canadian resellers are not much different than anywhere else in wanting to protect their turf. That said, anyone who can and is willing to shed light on how (third-person accounts of course...) it’s done would be of great interest! It might actually HELP people decide NOT to go it alone and to pay a bit more for a hassle-free experience.

Gents, with this much discussion, perhaps we should start up a Canadian chapter of GT-40 owners...?

Just a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

...the squeeky wheel gets the grease? Wouldn't hurt to have a respectable alliance of hobbiests here in Canada for the GT40.

I'm in- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Good idea Rick. I'm not sure if very many of us would qualify as "owners" yet. I guess as long as one has some parts we could qualify for "work-in-progress" status... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good day to all:

I too have been lurking on this forum for some time after having cultivated an interest in GT40's. I'm only a mile away from the old Westwood Track here in BC and have greatly enjoyed reviewing some of the historic racing footage from here. But I digress, I too have pondered the importation of a 'kit car' or parts thereof.

My conversations with both RIV and Transport Canada began when I was importing a U.S. purchased Lotus Esprit a couple years back. I agree with the comments that some of the regulations are just plain silly. Others appear to be safety (bumper, lighting and child restraints) but mostly seem to be about collection of $197.00 cdn. The provincial government also required the vehicle to be mechanically inspected.

Turnkey finished cars are prohibited. Period. However, if you were to import a bundle of components(or purchase locally), you could effectively build yourself an automobile and register it as a U-Built. Registering as anything else would require you to have a VIN with an approved manufacturers id and model code. That would mean TC had done the appropriate crash testing and had issued the silly little door sticker indicating all was well. Plus you would need a certificate of origin for assessing duties and a manufacturers letter indicating any and all recall repairs had been performed. You've got about 45 days to accomplish this once the car lands or it must go back. Period again.

As long as you do not contract someone to provide you with 50% or greater of the vehicles finished value you can purchase chassis, drivetrain and body components and have them assembled as you please. Having this done by one corporation and registering it as 'new' or 'manufactured' by that corporation is a no no. The registering owner must have commissioned the work preferably on an ad hoc basis. This means receipts in your name from a number of subassembly and labour suppliers and an appraisal of valuation and mechanical certification before they will issue you a registration.

I cannot guarantee that this information is 100% correct as it was casually given to me at the time I was importing the Lotii. However, the guy was bang on about the information provided to get my car guided thru the bureaucratic hoops.

Hopefully this allows others to think further. I too would hate to pay for one of Mssr. Logans or Prices latest only to have it turned back at final destination.

Steve H.

Back