RF40 in Canada

Ron Earp

Admin
Sounds like it is going to be a lot easier to open a business in the US, import the cars here, register them here, then transport them across the border as US cars. Looks like someone could make a go of it if they wanted.

More fodder:

As long as the Title declares the vehicle as being older than 15 years; then RIV regs do not apply.

Maybe some of these 'legal' vehicles are originally being Titled Stateside as being 60's vintage. That would drop the radar for sure.

That'd be a gray line to walk. If the vehicle ever crashes under those pretences I am sure any insurer would try to lever their way out from damages some how.

We just need someone to cough up a CAV Canadian registration. Hah, like that will happen! How do the CSX's make it up here? Bet they're done that way.

Ron: btw I suppose you've sold your green machine as it has dropped off your profile. Hopefully you don't regret the smile from the oily patch on your garage floor that only a Lotus can bring.

Steve H.

Ron Earp

Admin
On, don't worry it has been replaced. I've got a Lotus powered machine still marking the garage - a Jensen Healey race car - same motor, same oil leak, the gift continues!

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Steve, I was told by a senior official at Transport Canada that "the border officials are very skilled at telling the difference between a "titled" and a real vintage car - and it's the date of manufacture that matters" It's also up to the importer to PROVE the vintage, if so requested. They seem to have covered all the bases.

Ron: Building in the US and then importing a complete car into Canada is the hugest nightmare. You'd have to crash test at least one, and have all the modern required safety equipment (air bags...). I think some form of split parts shipment is the way to go. I do hope someone with real (positive) experience with this chimes in with some help. It would brighten more than a few faces I'm sure.

Yup - Mark is correct with the titlement. Customes doesn't give a hoot how it's been registered. They want to see the original proof from the manufacturer as to when the car was built and paperwork to back it up.

RANT ON:
Ya know guys, I have been at this for over a year now and there is still so many questions I have as to the motives of the Canadian gov. What the hell is the 15+ year old rule good for? Are 15+ year old replicas so much safer and well constructed than a 2005? Does a 15+ year old replica have precident over one built with modern engineering, parts and safety standards? They go on and on about safety and I can certainly understand why but do you know that anyone with half a brain or less can construct (NO SLIGHT AGAINT THE HOME BUILDER - I'm just trying to make a point) a vehicle and as long as it was made in Canada and has working daytime lights, a child seatbelt anchor and 3rd brake light can get a special V.I.N plate to certify it as a legal, registered home-built vehicle?? Sad indeed.

All the tax money made, duty, registration, safety, licence fees, stickers, plates - it goes on and on. They could make a killing on the amount of replicas that are out there. Put together some logical safety standards for them and allow them into the country. I'm under the impression that the ones who write these regulations are clueless or working from the same antiquated information, as much to say that these cars are made of cardboard and tin cans in the backyard of a mad scientist??

Like I've always said "you can't argue with an ignoramus".

RANT OFF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Cris, Ron

Cris, I'm with you on this one. There's a lot of tax money being missed by restrictive regulations on the importation or building of kit cars by private individuals. There's also employment, investment and skilled trades that would benifit from a healthy specialty car industry in Canada.

Ron, Regarding not supporting each other, as far as I know, CAV Canada is the only business in North America exclusively dedicated to serving the GT40 enthusiast. I have no other profit centers and this is not some hobby or sideline of another venture. I am happy to help anyone with a GT40 reproduction extract the maximum from their project, however I'm not about to give away the shop by posting all information on forums for all to see.

As anyone who first built a Cobra kit or streetrod and is now doing a GT40 knows, this is a very sophisticated car and as such the technical forums here and those involved in the industry that are glad to assist any builder, are invaluable to the future of our favorite car.

Back