Roaring Forties #80

Rolf,
After all this painting, color sanding and buffing is when the real fun begins. The thing just seems to fly together.
What type of stripe are you going with? Width ? spaces??

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hello Hershal,
Spent another day in the paint booth. I decided to go with a 12 inch center stripe with 1/2 inch boarder stripes.
To follow are pictures of the masking and stripe followed by clearcoat.

Rolf /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 39109-GT40 Paint masking2.jpg
    39109-GT40 Paint masking2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 479
and more painting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 39112-GT40 Paint stripe2.jpg
    39112-GT40 Paint stripe2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 484
next first layer of clearcoat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 39114-GT40 Paint cleascoat1.jpg
    39114-GT40 Paint cleascoat1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 453
another view of the rear clip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 39116-GT40 Paint Reaqr clip cleared.jpg
    39116-GT40 Paint Reaqr clip cleared.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 478
front clip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 39117-GT40 Paint Frontclip Cleared.jpg
    39117-GT40 Paint Frontclip Cleared.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 453
the spyder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 39118-GT40 Paint Spydercleared.jpg
    39118-GT40 Paint Spydercleared.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 467
and a naca duct. Ok, I got a little carried away. Tomorrow I'll start learning how to buff and polish! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 39120-GT40 Paint Naca duct1.jpg
    39120-GT40 Paint Naca duct1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 461
Rolf,
That's a great stripe skeeme. I'm really really impressed with the enthusiasm you and your boys went after this project. I am so excited about seeing your GT when you are done.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Rolf,

Again congratulations on your great progress. The car looks GREAT and what great strides you are all doing in just ONE year. I hope the bonding process is as you expected.

For those who do not know Rolf he is a surgeon and as you might expect has a very high pressure life. I take my hat of to him for his dedication to even attempt such a large project but to be progressing so well is just first class.

Again well done to the whole family, if I can help in any way please just call.

Best wishes,

Robert

Looks Fantastic ! I am about to get my kit here in Oklahoma and your car looks super. Cant wait to start on mine.
Tell us about that paint booth your using , looks like a very nice set-up as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Excellent progress Rolf, keep it up. I've been following your progress from the beginning, and you have shown an amazing dedication to getting on with it. Very impressed.
And I love the colour scheme. I never got round to fixing my black stripes on my yellow 40.
Now what colour do I do my next one?
All the best.

Thanks for the complements. The paint seems to make the car closer to being done, although there still is a lot of work left!
The booth is a profesional booth with downdraft air circulation. It belongs to one of the autobody repair places in town. I took care of the owners mother, thus was able to work out a "deal" with him. He did put the last coat of clear on. I did all of the sanding, priming, sealing, base coat, and first layer of clear coat. We still have to do the buffing and polishing.
I originally thought I would be done sometime in July. I think September is more realistic. Not bad though, since I started working on it September 16, 2003!

Very nice! How did you lay out the stripes? Did you take measurements before dissasembly? I was thinking I'd have to re-assemble after color, lay out stripes, then dissassemble and paint stripes. I'm curious about what paints you choose. The guy I've been talking to wants me to paint and clear, then sand with 600 grit, paint stripes and then clear again. I would beat with your method there is not much of a bump where the stripes are.

I will be very interested to hear about your specifics!

Rolf, it's looking great...your rate of progress is astounding. AFter reading your posts and Pat's, I went out and burned through about 15 sheets of sandpaper today. I'm motivated!

Pat
We did the front clip,spyder and rear clip together in the booth. We laid the stripes out using the clips in approximation with the spyder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. When the car is further along we will base coat the doors, then hang them on the car with the spyder and mask them out. I think we spent over six hours masking out the car. If you do the stripe after the clear coat you will get a ridge. Its probably not going to be that obvious but it will be there. We did not do any sanding once the base coat was on. Duponts product info sheets suggests that the clear coat should go on within 24 hours of the base which we observed. You can download all this stuff from their corporate web site.
We are buffing and polishing. I will try to upload some pics once we are done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back