Safir Car now on e-Bay

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who thinks it's unethical to try to pass off a Safir car as a "1965" Ford GT40?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this done with Cobras all the time, but yes I agree with you. Unless it was built in 65, the ad should say "Replica of a 1965...."

-Shannon

The Safir is not a replica. It's a JW authorized continuation...designated MK V. Advertising it as a 65 model
is somewhat misleading, although I don't doubt it's
titled as a 1965 vehicle.

But with "original" MK I's selling for $ 350k or more,
I don't see anyone buying an MK V and thinking they
purchased an MK I. No one would be that naive...would they?

MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
No one would be that naive...would they?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be kidding right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Shannon

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Safir vehicles are legitimate GT40s and in some ways are better than the originals. Peter Thorp, the founding owner of Safir, Ltd, went to enormous expense and trouble to get JW Automotive on board with the project, and LICENSED the trademark shape etc, also buying the tooling. No one else has done that. Moreover, by legal agreement Safir et al own the GT40 name and shape. I have ridden in both 1960s GT40s and Safir cars and I can tell you that the Safir cars are at least as good as the originals and probably better. Check one out yourself if you doubt me.

Jim,

I don't think anyone here is doubting the car's features, condition or abilites. It's a beautiful machine. But still it's a REPLICA of a 1965 MKII and not actually built in 1965 as the ad suggests. The fact that it's licensed, same tooling used, etc. is irrelevant. The day that Ford stopped making the GT40, everything thereafter became replicas.

Just my .02
-Shannon

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Shannon, I have to agree with you in that whoever decided to advertise it as a 1965 car is mistaken. Clearly it was not built in 1965, a Safir car this late would have been built in the 80s or 90s. Better in my mind to represent it fairly for what it is- a GT40 Mark V with solid provenance as what it is, rather than a 1965 car that isn't.
This issue arises often, I think, about the very late original series cars which were finished up by Brian Wingfield among others. They consist of original components, generally with some updates and improvements, and have original (late) serial numbers, but in some cases are still being completed as of today! Are they original GT40s? I would say yes. I would also say yes on all the Safir cars, but as you imply they are not Fords. Not that Ford built much at all of the Ford GT40s, either; virtually all the work was subbed out to shops like FAV and JW Automotive. Which is why it is still being continued in the same fashion.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
My guess is that the reserve price is $75K-$100K.

Looked at some of the pictures, it might be higher.

Hint: Lee Holman told me how they get that nice gold patina on the headers: wipe them down occasionally with WD-40.

Regards,
Lynn

My guess is the car will sell for around $150,000+. I consider it to be a real GT40, but would not call it original. To me the original cars were built in the 60's.

Ron Earp

Admin
I consider it a GT40, just like Vic's car, Hershal's car, etc. To me the originals were also built in the 60s and the rest are just GT40s. Now I might pay more for this GT40 than that GT40, but they are still GT40s.

R

MWGT40

Supporter
The auction closed at $133k. The reserve price was $240,000. I bid $110,000 for the car - rather optimistically.

Martin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It is a beautiful car, in super shape, and worth $110K. But it's not real enough for $240K, to me anyways. I thought there have been originals from the 60's for that price or just a little more recently in this down-ish market.

Mark

I have not heard of any GT40 selling or offered for less than $ 300k. Safirs don't come up for sale often, and
their semi-original status makes their value tough
to define. But given that fact that a WELL done ERA
can bring close to $ 100k, IMHO I'd think a nice Safir
would be worth closer to $ 150-175k.
Agreed that $ 240k is wishful thinking.

MikeD

Right with you Mike. Just saying that Martin's bid was very fair, and that 240K, plus a little, is close to 300K which could (with some luck) get you in a car with a 10-number.

Back