Schumacher in coma

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It may not be hopeless. Some patients do wake up even after long periods of being comatose. I suppose the real question is not only will he wake up, but what will he be like if and when he does? (what he said above) The recuperative power of human beings can be amazing.

Although I have not been following the story closely, my impression is that he is in a medically induced coma, so the fact that he has not awakened is not, in and of itself, a problem. Rather, it is a deliberate part of his treatment regimen, to aid in the healing process.

No?

Howard Jones

Supporter
The only person who knows what going on is his doctor and he's not going to predict anything until he determines all that can be done, has been done, and the patient has finished with recovery. The first real accurate information may come when SM leaves the hospital and is admitted to the therapy facility. Usually the doctors can give the family a range of probable outcomes as to what to expect after completing the therapy.

My hope is they are managing the swelling due to the original trauma and there was a minor amount of tissue damage. After all the man did have on a helmet and as far as we know there was no penetration of the skull by a foreign object.

He might just wake up and recover very well, but it may take awhile.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
In order to figure out how much function he will have later on, if any, they will have to reduce the sedation which is keeping him in coma (if he is still on it- and he may not be). Then they will have to see if he can be weaned off the ventilator that is supporting all his respiratory functions. They can get some idea of how well his brain may work from things like MRI and neurometric studies (EEG for example) but really it's mostly a matter of waiting it out and seeing what he does.

The former Israeli PM, Ariel Sharon, recently passed away after a prolonged period in a state of minimal awareness if any- I believe eight or ten years after a spontaneous brain hemorrhage. He was much older than Schumacher and the injury was of a different kind. But unfortunately it is possible, with supportive care, to live a long time after a major brain injury, but not wake up. It all remains to be seen.

FWIW, I don't think he is suffering pain. But everyone around him is.

Keith

Finally, some official news today:

Apparently they are reducing the coma inducing drugs in order to allow the wake-up process to begin.

Not by any means an expert but this has to be good news surely?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It isn't bad news. They probably feel that any benefit from an induced coma is now past, and they are going to wake him up, or reduce the sedation and see if he wakes and how much. I guess we'll all see how he does; my fingers are crossed.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
No not good, but hope is not lost....

Rest and recover champion!

Keith

Sabine later said it was from "an unauthorised source" so not sure if it's true or not.

OK Edit: Quote:

Sabine Kehm, the manager of Michael Schumacher, has dismissed reports that the German racing legend had contracted a lung infection.
Reports about the seven-time World Champions' condition surfaced late Tuesday night after German publication Bild claimed that Schumacher had contracted pneumonia while he was in a medically induced coma.
However, Kehm dismissed the claims on Wednesday.
"As always, my answer is: announcements about Schumacher's health status, that are not done by his official doctors or by his management need to be treated as speculation," she told German news agency DPA.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It's unfortunately quite likely, I am sorry to say. He is probably still on a ventilator, and lung infections are rather common in vented patients.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Latest news is that the waking procedure has apparently been stopped. Doesn't sound good.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No it does not. It sounds like they have withdrawn all the sedation they used to try to preserve brain function and minimize injury when the accident occurred. And he still is not waking up. It's very sad, no question on it.

Tragic to think this great driver may well succumb to a freak accident on a ski slope having driven "on the limit" for most of his life. In many ways it brings General George S Patton's demise to mind.......of all the battles he witnessed and was part of he died after being injured in a car accident. In Pattons case you know this is not what he would have wanted. I'd like to think that somewhere in Schumachers unconscious state he is using those thoughts to fight for life knowing its just not suppose to happen this way. I continue to wish and hope for his recovery and feel for his family as they endure this tragedy.

Back