Schumacher in coma

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
There is a lot of whinging going on in Ferrari chat about the lack of information about Michael. Firstly I think his family are entitled to tell all or nothing about Michaels condition,
Secondly I don't think there has been much to report other than no change.
What do you think?

Keith

The ex Formula 1 medic who's name escapes me, has been wringing his hands in public saying essentially that the lack of information about his condition is an insult to his fans." I call bollocks on that - the family (and the man himself) deserve as much privacy as it's possible to get.

I think he is a selfish bastard to be honest.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
From the Daily Mail website:

The family of F1 legend Michael Schumacher have been informed by doctors treating him that the chances of recovery are now so slim that only 'a miracle' can save him.
Today the 45-year-old winner of seven grand prix titles has been in an artificially induced coma for 69 days since badly injuring his brain during a low-speed ski accident in the French Alps on December 29. Most artificial comas last for a period of two to three weeks.

His management team, led by spokeswoman Sabine Kehm, insist that he remains in the 'wake up' phase of his treatment as doctors continue to decrease the powerful narcotics that have kept him unconscious. Official news about his condition is minimal: but sources close to the family say the prognosis for Schumacher could not be worse.
'He is in terrible shape but until the family issue a statement we cannot write about it,' said one senior German journalist. 'The family have, we are told, been informed that only a miracle can bring him back now.'

However, Italian sports newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport is claiming that the seven-time world champion is no longer on a ventilator and is now breathing independently

Read more: Michael Schumacher's doctors tell family 'only a miracle' can save him, say reports | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Miracles do happen and I'm praying for two of them...

Michael & Tom

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The operative word is no statement from the family or the hospital has been issued.
That means we are left with pure speculation.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well if he is off the ventilator he is NOT brain dead. You can't breathe without function of the brain stem, and if he's breathing without a ventilator, then his brain is at least that much alive.

However he may not be at all conscious. He may be in a persistent vegetative state. If that's the case, he may or may not wake up.

Mind you, I am not a neurosurgeon or a neurologist. I suspect that the group of physicians taking care of him know exactly where things are and what's going on, but at the request of the family are not discussing it with the media. The episode where someone tried to sneak in there may have something to do with that, or they may just wish for privacy, which is entirely understandable. This is tragic enough for them without having to be answerable to folks whose business this affair essentially is not.

We'll just have to wait for more real information. What we have now is guesswork. As Pete said.

Keeping my fingers crossed for MS and his family.

It's ironic that a guy of that skill and determination made it through 7 championship F1 seasons without debilitating injury....and is then brought down by a "low speed" skiing accident. Kind of like Superman falling off of a horse and sustaining terrible injuries. The human body is a fragile thing in reality.

MS gave plenty to his fans over the years, he and his family deserve every bit of privacy they require.

Keith

UK papers today are saying this: (usual caveats apply)

"Michael Schumacher could soon be headed home. British newspapers the Daily Mail and the Sun are reporting that the F1 legend's wife Corinna is making arrangements for a $17 million medical suite so that Schumacher can continue his now three-month coma at their home on Lake Geneva.

The Daily Mail report, written by Sam Creighton and Allan Hall, said Mrs Schumacher is making the arrangements after she was "told it is unlikely he (Schumacher) will ever wake up". The correspondents quoted a 25-year friend of the Schumacher family as saying: "All the money in the world cannot fix what has happened to him. "The family are making arrangements for a future of permanent immobility." (GMM)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
No one knows what is going to happen to him. Anyone who says they do is talking through their hat, is the old expression. People DO wake up after prolonged periods of coma, usually to the astonishment of their physicians. It isn't even possible, with what we know here, to plot the odds.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
GRENOBLE, France — Michael Schumacher is now showing "moments of consciousness and awakening," more than three months after suffering serious head injuries in a skiing accident, the retired Formula One star's manager said Friday.

NYTimes, this morning.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It is not unusual for someone to spend a prolonged period unconscious after a very serious head and brain injury like Schumacher had. What are still unknowns are 1) how much he will wake up 2) how long it will take 3) what he will be like when/if the process of his awakening is complete- or if it plateaus.

What he has in his favor are that he was young and very fit, that he got very good medical care immediately, and that he has always been a person of determination and strong will. Those qualities may serve him well in his recovery. Especially if he wakes to the point where he can understand what happened to him and what is needed on his part to recover, his drive to succeed will help him in his rehabilitation to the point where he can have a meaningful and active life. I hope so.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
According to the latest reports in our media Michael is showing some small signs of improvement. Fingers crossed.....

Back