silencer below 100db ?

The whole reason for making muffler in that fashion was to get the correct length tailpipe for a race GT40 application that has to comply with a noise value.. In NZ that is 95db at full power @ 30meters & right angles to the car IIRC. To use any muffler that flows into an expansion chamber from collector means you have ignored that correct length tailpipe feature, this makes X box , H-Pipe, or proper flowmaster types unsuitable if your looking to race your car.... if its just a cars n coffee or show n shine deal well it doesn't really matter. Its only got to look right.

I would suggest also to incorporate Helmholtz resonator areas (death ends in the muffler). The volume of these room needs to be in tune of your engine.
1/4 or 3/4 of the wavelength needs to be found.
This means it is only effective in a certain area of rpm and best to choose 2000-2200 rpm for cruising. (=134Hz for V8)

Can helmholtz be effective at higher RPM/Hz as it relates to the track? Some F1 cars have what look like a j-pipe.

dcd1117no144.jpg

It seems this is more for tuning exhaust then sound. (though I know used for drone in street app)

Helmholtz Exhaust 2012 - Forum - F1technical.net

For sure, you can tune it for any rpm. It is indeed to reduce drone and by doing that lowering the dB's. You see it also on Porsches being used on aftermarket exhaust. Oem designs them inside the muffler.

I'm certainly not disputing the effect they can have on drone as I know they are very effective. I agree with that pointed out in the post linked however that it seems unlikely F1 cars would be willing to add weight to change noise levels in their cars and rather they may be targeting scavenging affects somewhere in their power band.

It would be interesting to see if you could get significantly lower decibel by targeting your cars specifics sound spectrum at high rpm and tune a jpipe/helmholtz chamber accordingly. If effective it might be the most efficient method.

Back