Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Has anyone here used Skype? Or os there something similar but better known?

Details are found on
http://www.skype.com/

Our company is being pushed along this route and I would welcome any thoughts on it - good or bad

Thanks in advance
Ian

Ian,

Lynn from this forum turned me on to Skype. I use it for work to talk with people in FL and NJ. The only thing is you need a fast connection as you will not be able to understand what people are saying with dial-up

I use SKYPE to talk free to my son Joe who lives in Majorca. The only trouble I had at first was I didn't buy a good enough quality microphone.....otherwise it works really well.

I also have Skype. Seems MUCH better than Microsoft Messenger for voice comms. I've used it to talk to Lynn and my in laws, with no problems. Very clear and very little delay, with quick connection.

Hi Ian,

I'm on a Mac and use Skype quite a bit. My missus's family are all in Southern Italy so she uses it quite a bit. One great thing is that when you travel abroad with your laptop the numbers all stay the same as they are all stored with the country codes so no dialling codes to worry about. It's best from computer to computer as the sound quality is far superior than that of a landline. Sometimes if there is heavy net traffic things may sound a bit scrambled and you may get cutoff but on the whole it's pretty good for the cost.
Watch out BT.......
On another note I use my webcam quite a bit to talk to friends who are on iChat .It won't be long before it becomes the norm to want to see who you are talking to and not pay for the call.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I have found Skype by far the best i/net voice service so far - but keep an eye on MS & their new "Live Communications Server / Live Communicator Client" - its a huge extension of the old Netmeeting with IM, presence mgt, vid-con & other bits - all initially directed at the corporate marketplace.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Keith

Skype Info Required

Just dug up this thread from a long time back 'cos I have just loaded it to give it a try (anything to stop BT's FB profits). Just some advice really, how does one advertise one's Skype name or find out other people's? Do you just drop it into your signature on emails and website etc? :)

Yep, and profiles etc, also just type in people names inthe search contacts its quite surprising how many people are on it. It searches real names and usernames.

Its the nuts for international calls, I issued all overseas friends and family with phones over a year ago, saved me a fortune.

Recieved this email from Kim Komando, the digital goddess(not bad looking either!!).If you have Voip and are having some sort of problem, she has the solution:

Test your telephone

In the past couple of years, Internet telephone services have become quite popular. They are properly known as VoIP, or Voice over Internet Protocol.

I've said a lot about VoIP in the past. There are still problems with it, but VoIP services have improved dramatically.

With VoIP, one of your biggest concerns might be call quality. What good is it if your calls are garbled? Well, if you're having problems, find out where the problem lies.

At TestYourVoIP, you can run a test on your service. It will provide a detailed analysis of a call placed from your service. Then, if you need to, you can forward the results to your service provider. It can help you get everything cleared up!

If you haven't gotten the backup religion, it's time! Avoid the frustration of losing important data in a computer crash. Tune in to The Kim Komando Show this weekend. I'll help you find hidden files on your hard drive that you should back up. Visit my site to find out how you can listen to my three-hour radio show or my Computer Minute, which airs Monday through Friday.

TO VISIT TODAY'S COOL SITE, GO HERE:
www.testyourvoip.com

See you tomorrow with another great site! Can't wait? Visit my site!
Kim :)

Back