SL-C recommended engine/transaxle combos

Hey guys, what about that beautiful new BMW V-8 they put in the new M3?

2070322.001.1L.jpg

2070322.001.Mini21L.jpg

BMW says:
Press Release
* Supreme performance ensured by 309 kW/420 hp from 4.0 litres.
* Maximum torque of 400 Newton-metres (295 lb-ft) at 3, 900 rpm, 85 per cent of maximum torque over a speed range of 6,500 rpm.
* Unique thrust and muscle ensured by consistent implementation of the M high-speed engine concept, maximum engine speed 8,300 rpm.
* Consistent lightweight construction of engine and ancillary units, new V8 power unit one of the lightest eight-cylinders in the world, lighter than the straight-six power unit in the former model.
* Variable camshaft control, low-pressure double-VANOS for an optimum charge cycle, system offering full power and performance even with normal engine oil pressure.
* Eight individual throttle butterflies for spontaneous engine response.
Consistent and reliable oil supply with longitudinal and lateral acceleration up to 1.4 g ensured by two oil pumps and wet sump oil lubrication optimised for supreme dynamic behaviour.

And in the States, Dinan has already hopped the V8 up:

Dinan Introduces E9x M3 4.6L Stroker Motor

For those seeking the ultimate high performance driving experience, Dinan has once again redefined M3 performance with a bored and stroked 4.6 liter version of BMW’s V-8 engine. The engine produces 502 horsepower along with increased torque of 384 lb-ft at 5600 rpm. As incredible as BMW’s V-8 is in stock form, just imagine the acceleration that results from a maximum gain of 105 horsepower @ 6400 rpm and a maximum gain of 96 lb-ft torque @ 5000 rpm*!

Equally impressive is the fact that all of this performance is available without sacrificing BMW-like drivability or the peace of mind that comes from matching new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles.

Engine tested using 93 octane with High Flow Intake, Throttle Bodies, 16% underdrive pulley and Free Flow Mufflers.*

Tempting, eh?

Bassanio et Portia :)

It seems GM's LS series was designed for either front or mid-engined use, albeit serendipitously. Bassanio, can you reverse the intake on the BMW without having to manufacture a new manifold?

I agree with Jack, hard to beat the LS series $$:HP ratios.

The gold or silver flexible sheeting has adhesive and usually a thin insulation behind it. This insulates the surrounding metal and helps the heat not be absorbed into the chassis. How well it works after long term heat soak, I don't know, but they got the $$ so it's used. I'd love to talk to someone who has actually done the tests on it. In my experiences, wrapping the exhaust with waffle stainless does the most for the money in reducing heat in the engine compartment.

As far as the tranny/engine goes, I just don't see how you can beat an LS3 with a cam and tune and a Mendeola, when they actually come out. The LS3 will produce over 500 HP for under $7k and I think you guys may be surprised at what the final price of the Mendeola SDR is. If rumors are correct, you may be able to have a 5speed gearbox and 500 HP for under $17k! Time will tell.

Today we secured the build of a very cool engine and transaxle package for an SL-C customer...

We are going to install a full LMP1 Zytek V8 with an Extrac transaxle....similar to the units being used in some Riley and Scott cars and also the older Panoz LMP1 batmobile cars from 2000-2007.....should be fun...

Not quite in the same budget as the Mendeola and LS3 but way cool non the less....

Crash,
An LS376 and a six speed Ricardo GT transaxle can now also be done for 17k....

Last edited:
Yes, I see that the Rico boxes are dropping in price quickly. This is one of the factors in the price possibly coming down on the Mendi I believe.

BTW I don't think the LS376 gets above the 500 mark. For that one will need either the factory ASA cam or an aftermarket unit. Not sure the stock intake will flow enough, but of course that can be addressed too.

Can't remember for sure, but I think someone else actually manufactured most of the Zytek engine, and its an xtrac, not Extrac. What model xtrac, if you know?

I am pretty sure that Zytek developed their own engines...I know they initially did management systems too...

Elan motorsports...(did I spell that right...:laugh:..)...was involved in the development too and thats who I have been working with....

Oh BTW.....I dont think I ever said that the LS376 makes 500hp...its only a meek 480hp package....but you knew that already I am sure....
I just said that an LS376 and Ricardo can be done for 17k....
I have a Mendeloa case here and as pretty as it is...I think I will stick to my Ricardos for a while...especially as I now have an LS9 to test fit into an SL-C also....

And its spelled Ricardo not Rico.

Its a 122 box by the way....

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how the LS9 intake works (or not) in stock form in the car. Seems like it will run into some stuff but I suppose Fran will know soon.

Maybe it will be only for drivers under 4'10" to make room for the SC? Actually, if you overcome the intake issues that would be a very interesting build.

It requires the modification of the cross car beam above the fuel cell area and a bump in the rear aluminum firewall..but other than that she's a gud'un...!!!!...

The front dress does not protrude further than the lower pulley ..the throttle body makes a nice turn to the side and that certainly helps a whole lot.....

This mod has already been successfully done on another SL-C chassis for a customer with another special drivetrain so its not such a big deal really...

A pal in town has already remapped a cal. with a new pulley and has made 800hp....

I will post some pics when I can remember to take my camera to work...

A pal in town has already remapped a cal. with a new pulley and has made 800hp....

Fran, in the interest of adding lightness, power/weight, cost/benefit, polar whatever, etc., what motor/tranny combo would be very well balanced for street & road racing (under non competitive conditions)?

I have my opinion - as does everyone else, but I'm interested in your opinion.

- PS. I'm not really interested in driving around with a grenade behind me, so - yes - reliability counts.

Thanx.

Had I not procrastinated after buying a fresh LS-1, and then (year later) bought the SL-C, the logical choice for me would have been the LS-3/G50LSD combination.

About the same money that I have in the modified LS-1/930 combo.

And I was lucky enough to grab an LS-7 crate engine for $10G's!! The G50/50LSD setup for $9G's! :thumbsup: But, if the timing had been right I would have jumped at one of those Ricardos.

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
Yes, I see that the Rico boxes are dropping in price quickly. This is one of the factors in the price possibly coming down on the Mendi I believe.

BTW I don't think the LS376 gets above the 500 mark. For that one will need either the factory ASA cam or an aftermarket unit. Not sure the stock intake will flow enough, but of course that can be addressed too.

Can't remember for sure, but I think someone else actually manufactured most of the Zytek engine, and its an xtrac, not Extrac. What model xtrac, if you know?

i will let you know later as today my SLC LS376/480 with redesigned carbon intake chamber and big arse filter gets a rolling road dyno.
running UK road legal CATS and silencer.

Paul,

stock LS3 with a G50......under 10k for a complete 400hp drivetrain...

Interesting. I bought my LS3 crate for about $7K with pedal, computer, etc. That would only leave $3k for the tranny. Somewhere something isn't adding up.

Either you are talking about a junk yard, good deal LS3 and a good used tranny that is very cheap and both need no fixes, or the guy that has been a buddy of mine at GMPP for the last 15 years really isn't a buddy at all.

Do you have a source that will offer that package for that price?

I am pretty sure that Zytek developed their own engines...I know they initially did management systems too...

Elan motorsports...(did I spell that right...:laugh:..)...was involved in the development too and thats who I have been working with....

Interesting. I thought that Judd was the basis for the Zytek stuff. Maybe some of the latest stuff, like 2008-2009, is something that started as a clean sheet by Zytek. I wouldn't know about those, but the earlier stuff that Zytek supported was Judd based as far as I know from talking to a couple people from the shop I used to work for.

In any case, while I am not familiar with the 122 from xtrac, since this engine and what I am assuming is a dog ring race box is not exactly street friendly, it begs the question once again, is there a race SLC in the works?

Yes....a stock LS3 costs me $5200 , pedal/computer for $899 and a G50 03 can be had for $2500 ... I just bought one for that over on FFR....the KEP clutch kit is approx $1400..
These are all prices that anyone can get with no "buddy" deals needed...
Voila $9,999...under $10,000

I keep all transaxle models in stock...Audi, ZF, Porsche G50 and 930 and Ricardo units..some in reconditioned, some new and others "as is" ....the one listed above at "2500" is as is....came from a good running car and has been in storage for a while...

Didn't you just answer your own question about a race SL-C???...

Last edited:
Back